1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some information on Maltepoo

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by janeair, Sep 20, 2004.

1. janeair

janeair New Member

I have "fallen in love" with this mix from afar, and have become convinced one would be perfect for my small family. Anyone know about reputable breeders? Appropriate costs? Shipping? -- I did read the shipping post, and it gave me pause, yet it seems people ship frequently, and dogs do fine???

My dilemma is that I am in central Vermont, so it's going to be several hours' drive to see puppies, which I am willing to do, within limits. I have seen prices for these puppies ranging from $500 to $1600, and can't figure out what to do.

ANy advice from maltepoo families, breeders, lovers, would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Jane...
    Welcome to the board....!
    I don't believe you've received many responses yet since I think that this type of information is not allowed on the boards. A lot of times, people will use it as an advertisement board for themselves (which is not allowed).

While I don't have a maltepoo myself, I know of several others that can possibly give you information on the breed, costs, etc... I can't think of her screen name, but JACK is a maltepoo, and perhaps his mom will speak up.

As far as breeders, I know of "ONE"... if you want to PM me I can give you more information, but am not comfortable advertising on the site.

3. janeair

janeair New Member

THanks so much for your reply. Every forum has it's own do's and don'ts. I was certainly not hoping to inspire anyone to advertise their product or service. Rather, I was hoping to hear real feedback from purchasers and owners. Sorry if i mis-stated my intention!

At any rate, my head is swimming from the amount of information (and, likely, misinformation) out there, especially on breeders' sites. Everyone, of course, seems to say "their" puppies are the best looked after, etc. Here's what I would like to know, for a start:

1. Would most of you owners say it is true a reputable breeder will not release a teacup or tiny maltepoo before 12 weeks or so -- in order, among other things, to ensure that an adequate course of parvo vaccines has been given?

2. Some say that reputable breeders do not ship pups. But what about breeders in remote areas? WHat are they to do? Or is it a hard and fast rule? Opinions, please.

3. If anyone has worked with a breeder that they just loved, or one they hated, and would be willing to share that information with me, please feel free to pm me. Likewise for pricing guidelines (and are teacups and tinies much more expensive than toys?).

THanks all, for patience with a puppy newbie! (and recovering cat person. Well, I love cats too, but my hub's very allergic to 'em).

4. HebertRT

HebertRT New Member

We have a maltipoo and absolutely adore her! She is now 7-1/2 months old and weighs between 5-1/2 and 6 pounds. I picked her up when she was 8 weeks and she weighed 2.2 pounds. We have never had any problems with weight related issues. She is extremely healthy. She was spayed a month ago and healed nicely. She is smart, loving and better than we could have hoped for. My husband commented this past weekend that she was more like another child than a pet -- he's right! Check out her dogster page for pictures and contact me if you have more questions, I'd be happy to chat with you! :y_the_best:
    http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=73439

5. janeair

janeair New Member

OMG, Laci is sooooooo cute!

I know I have a lot more research ahead of me, but that's okay. I was discussing it with my husband today and he agreed that spring will be the best time bcs there's lots going on this fall through New Year's, family events, travel and crowds, and such, no fair to a new pup -- not to mention that if we do end up working with a breeder who ships, it's already getting too cold here in VT for me to think it would be safe to do (it was 34 last night -- and not even autumn, yet!).

I would love to chat. Care to pm me or have a chat on the board after 8pm one evening (tonight, or...)?

Thanks for your input.

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: WELCOME to Auspet, glad you joined!!! :eek:

I don't have a malti-poo (rather, two shih-poos), but I thought I'd lend my two cents where I can! :wink:

First of all, don't buy from a breeder who sells "teacups" - this recent thread briefly discussed the whole "teacup" rubbish:

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=teacup

I don't know of a quality breeder who will release their pups before 10-12 weeks! Keeping a pup with his/her littermates and mom up until that time is vitally important for many reasons.

Well, I won't say whether reputable breeders will ship or not, only because I know some that do and some that refuse to. I should mention that the breeders that I know that will ship, will only do so under VERY strict circumstances. With that said, would I ship a puppy? No, I wouldn't ship a puppy due to the stress put upon the pup, and the not-so-good conditions in which they are shipped (physical handling, and environment, as they are shipped cargo). There was a recent discussion regarding shipping, here's the link to that thread:

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=shipping

As far as what to look for in a breeder, there have been lots of great posts by various members with tips on what to look for (good and bad) when trying to find a quality breeder, if you use the search feature on Auspet, you should be able to find lots of important and useful info.

Then as far as "teacups" go, the "breeders" (I use that term very loosely) who (unfortunately) breed and sell those will usually try and charge you an arm and a leg because they are so small. However, I would STRONGLY advise you NOT to buy from them and support such unethical breeding practices, among other things already discussed in another thread.

Just my opinion the questions you brought up!

My best advice to you is to search long and hard for the best breeder (in other words, don't just settle for an "okay" breeder), you'll be happy you did!!! :y_the_best:

Best wishes in your search...good luck with the new puppy once he/she arrives home...make sure you come back to tell us all about him/her, and of course, share LOTS of pics!!! :D

7. janeair

janeair New Member

Thanks so much for your welcome and information. I read the link about "teacup" breeders, and found it to be quite eye-opening :shock: !!

In thinking about it, of course it makes sense. At any rate, I have now started talking to breeders. I figure it will take me a little (or a lot of) time to get it figured out. I don't love the idea of shipping, so that pretty much limits me to breeders within driving distance, or within a day's flight back and forth (so that I could fly). I do quite a bit of driving up and down the east coast, for work and pleasure, so that may expand my options. And I'm only about 3 hours from Montréal, so Canada is an option as well.

I spoke with a very helpful breeder in the southern U.S. today, who opened my eyes to pickup/delivery options, and seemed very confident and knowledgeable.

I think that, once I find a breeder, I will try to get on a list for a winter litter that would be available in the spring (2005). Because of weather considerations, and because we will want to be able to train our new "kid" to "go" both indoors and out, bringing a baby into a Vermont home in December or January won't help much with the "out" part -- it's just too darned cold (and often the snow is taller than a puppy).

So, my hope is to research and find a good breeder, and then get on a list for a mid-winter litter. Does that make sense? Am I being premature? I don't know if I can wait until spring! But I feel it is probably best not to rush into a relationship with a bad breeder, and worth the wait for a long-term family companion.

Any thoughts on my ramblings will be most welcomed.

Cheers. Jane

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

It sure does sound like you've really put some thought into it, and I commend you for that...the more research, the better!!! :y_the_best:

As far as training your puppy to eliminate both indoors and out, I would strongly advise you to think long and hard about that! Trying to train a dog to do his/her business indoors is, more often than not, very confusing for the pup, and the result of numerous problems. If you're interested in previous threads that have been discussed in regards the indoor training, here are just a few that I was able to find right away:

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=indoor

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=paper

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ht=confuse

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... r+training

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=paper

I believe there are a few people on this board that litter/paper trained successfully, so hopefully they'll be able to help you out if that's the route you decide to take!

Good luck! :D

9. Maltipoomama

Maltipoomama New Member

Hi Jane... I feel like I know the Maltipoo breed very well... I own 3 of them! They are the most wonderful breed! mY vet says they are the best of the poodle and maltese.

2 of my babies were flown to me, the other, I drove and picked up. They all came from the same breeder who was terrific through the whole process. If you would like her name, send me an Im.

You just cannot go wrong with these pups. They are the best!

Denise

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Maltipoomama~

I was hoping you'd see this thread and stop over to lend your two cents...glad you were able to help!!! :y_the_best:

:D

11. janeair

janeair New Member

Thanks for the input, MBSP and Maltipoomomma!

I will review all the links. As you are probably figuring out, I feel that well-informed will be well-armed :)

(of course, as any parent who has read all the baby books before their child arrived knows, there's nothing like "real life" experience in the end :lol: )

Cheers. Jane

12. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

The best thing is to make sure the breeder you use has a vet and gives a guarentee .
    Also please be aware that any good breeder is listed with the BBB ...so check that too ...Hi people !

My baby shih ...you can page me anytime ...I can't stay away for long ...LOL !

:0020: Page me !

13. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Malti~

It's too funny that you mention that, b/c when I was reading the this thread and typing my reply, I wanted soooo badly to "send" you one of my infamous pages, but I didn't think you frequented Auspet very often (if at all), so I was afraid you'd never "receive" my page!!! BUT, now that I know you do come back to the forum, I'll be sure to send you a page when your wonderful expertise is needed (or maybe even when I feel like just bothering you...LOL :wink: )!!!

Glad to see that you haven't forsaken us, it's always great to have you here! :D

14. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Hey ,I may as well be here ,alot of you guys are over on some of my boards and are in my contests ...so I have to keep a close eye on your shihpoo people ....LOL !

I knew you needed me ...I could hear that MMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIII all the way to bama !

:0020: page me

15. Maltipoomama

Maltipoomama New Member

Hey Jane, thought I'd share this little story with you... it may make you feel better about doing all your research... it does pay!!!

Before I met the breeder of my 3 babies, I ran into a breeder in Florida who had a beautiful little apricot & white maltipoo she was selling. This was my first venture into internet aquaintence of dog breeders, and my excitement to find a maltipoo ( I wanted one so bad, it hurt!) I didn't do the research. I took everything she said as the gospel of maltipoo breeders, and sent her the downpayment on this precious little girl. Weeks went by, and she did send me updated pics and told me a little about her as she grew, and she seemed very fond of this little girl. Well, one day I signed on and she had emailed me... it started " I am sorry to tell you this but little "Gracie" (that was her name I gave her) had died the night before from hypoglycemia! I cried like a baby. She didn't even have the heart to call... just emailed me the news!!!! :cry: Needless to say I had a very sour taste from the whole experience. But I did find my new breeder (which I feel is a totally awesome person) and we know what the outcome is.

So, do NOT hesitate with the research and asking every question there is!!!!

Denise

16. doggielover

doggielover New Member

Hopefully Maltipoomama will see this post, I was just curious as to how your maltipoos are with kids (i mean if they get jealous of visitors) and also do they have really bad separation anxiety when you go to work?

17. Maltipoomama

Maltipoomama New Member

My Babies love kids!!! Gracie likes little babies... she will lay right down beside them and watch them! They love other dogs too... the had 2 chihauhas a torkie and a bichon over last night and they ran and played!

Seperation anxiety? Well, all 3 go to work with me everyday! They are the most popular puppies in an automotive repair business there ever was! They are even on our business cards!!! The customers absolutely love them, and if I happen to leave them home one day... well... I surely hear about it! Gracie is about the only one who seems to mind when mama isn't home. If I go to run errands or leave her home all day, she mopes around and sleeps. And as soon as I get home, she carries on something feirce!

Denise

18. janeair

janeair New Member

Denise, Thanks so much for your input. Now, my good news. Today, my husband and I had a "playdate" with a friend's malti -- my husband made sure to get lots of contact with fur and licks and the whole bit. That was at noontime. I just spoke with him at work at 10 p.m. and guess what? Not an itch. not a sniffle. And a solid "yes, dear, go ahead and pursure that puppy." I'm sooooooooooooo happy.

Did I mention I have one in mind? I just hope he is still available. I'll keep you posted!

-- Jane

19. Maltipoomama

Maltipoomama New Member

Wow!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That is sooo great!!!! What wonderful news! Now comes the fun part..... finding the furbaby of your dreams. If you want, PM me with your choices!!!! I get as excited as I did when I was looking for my 3... ask Puttin.... she's on my mind constantly waiting for Little Lillian!!!!

Denise

20. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: YAY...that's GREAT news!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Be sure to keep us posted, I would love to hear all about it!!! :D