1. Grow your baby fish like a PRO

    Microworms, great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. They are easy to culture and will considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Microworms! [ Click here to order ]

Losing my baby

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Nicole, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. Nicole

    Nicole New Member

    My little Mittens will probably be put down this week.

    Last week I noticed that she wasn't eating, drinking or using her litterbox. I made and appointment with the vet that day, and brought her in, she HATES the vet office and so she started hissing and screaming (a really loud meow that actually sounds like screaming) at the vet, but I held her down so he could feel her belly and take her temperature, he thinks she has a Uterus infection and after I checked some things out on the computer, matching up her symptoms, Im pretty sure its called Pyometra.

    Its when a female cat hasn't been spayed or had kittens, and is an older cat (my mittens is 9) her uterus, just after a heat, fills with Pus.

    My parents and I have discussed surgery with the vet and with all the costs together it would be well over $1000 dollars. We simply don't have the money. I, being a 17 year old girl am trying my hardest to get a job, but its not that easy. I will do everything in my power to get the money for my baby, but I know I won't be able to do it in time.

    The vet gave us pills for her, and said that there is a chance that she can work it out herself with the pills. She hasn't eaten in almost a week so today I got a small syringe and force fed her some water/sugar mixture, and also some catfood/water (pureed in the blender) mixture, and so she at least has something in her tummy.

    I still haven't made my final decision about getting her put down yet, she doesn't look to be in any physical pain, but with cats sometimes you can't tell. She does get up more though and walk around, but I don't know what to do.

    any opinions, or suggestions as to something I could do for her, or what you think would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Nicole
     
  2. nern

    nern New Member

    I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. :cry:

    Have you discussed setting up a payment plan with your vet? If your vet won't do it you might be able to find another vet that is willing to but you'll have to call around and ask. Keep us posted.
     
  3. lynnhaz

    lynnhaz New Member

    oh dear nicole....what an awful story. i feel so bad for your kitty. :( i have not heard of that. it sounds as if you have really informed yourself, and are doing the very best you can. gee...i wish i could offer some advice, but i am not familiar with the condition. but i will say some prayers....stick around though...there are alot of knowledgeable people here.
     
  4. Nicole

    Nicole New Member

    thanks both of you. I will stick around, there seems to be a lot of people here who have gone through what im going through, and who know what they're talking about.

    Nern: I haven't yet talked to my vet about a payment plan, but I definetly will. The vets office is not open on sundays, so I have to wait until tomorrow to see him. I also wanted to talk to him about this:

    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyometra.html

    Its around the bottom few paragraphs, and its an alternative to surgery, I just have to find out if they do it, and how much that will cost.
     
  5. lynnhaz

    lynnhaz New Member

    GOOD ARTICLE...I READ IT AND I SURE HOPE THE VET CAN DO THE ALTERNATIVE PROCEDURE...GOOD LUCK. :m33:
     
  6. Annie

    Annie New Member

    Oh Nicole, I can't help you either, I wish I could, I'm so sorry you're having to make this difficult decision and I hope you can manage somehow not to have to do it. Thinking of you and Mittens.

    Annie
     
  7. horse_child

    horse_child New Member

    I'm sorry, Nicole. I can't help you though. I'm thinking of you, and i really hope everything turns out for the best. Remember that we are here for you!
     
  8. Mary_NH

    Mary_NH New Member

    I believe the only way to get rid of this is by spaying. Every heat cycle a cat is allowed to have without breeding brings gives them a .5% chance of developing this....next heat cycle .10% chance....and keeps climbing. Cats are breeding machines...this is another reason why spaying is so important.

    I do feel so sorry for your cat...and people will probably get upset with me for posting like this but when she was a kitten 9 years ago $100 spent spaying her would have saved her life now.

    She'll probably need to be spayed now at 10x more cost - you really need to get this done cause chances of it occurring again are pretty high.
     
  9. deb2950

    deb2950 New Member

    so sorry

    :cry:
     
  10. vene

    vene New Member

    Nicole, I'm sorry about Mittens. I know you'll do what's best for her.
     
  11. Ashimmerystar

    Ashimmerystar New Member

    I hope your kitty will be alright. money is tight and hard to come by especially when your young. Let us knwo an update on this one!
     
  12. Nicole

    Nicole New Member

    Thank you all for your well wishes.

    Well, I have been talking to the vet multiple times in the past week, and we are hoping with the medication that she is on, that she will get all of the infection out of her body by herself, she is doing soo good so far, she is such a strong kitty. We are of course helping her clean her self, she has a lot of discharge, and we actually tried to make her a 'diaper' of sorts, but she wouldn't have it. So we just clean her up a few times a day, and she gives us an approving purr. I have also been feeding her 2 - 3 times a day through a syringe, which she doesn't really like being held down, but licks her lips afterwards, and it fills her tummy. She has been up a lot more, and even using the litterbox and drinking on her own. Its looking good so far.

    She did something so peculiar the other day; she came in to my room and woke me up. haha, My younger cousin was sleeping over, so I heard some noise and just figure it was her up doing something, but the noise persisted so I sat up and looked over the side of my bed, and here is Mittens sitting up on her hind legs scratching at the side of my bed. haha, So im guessing she was hungry, So i got up, gave her her meds, and then fed her.

    So if she does get the infection out of her body, we are going to imediately take her to the vets, so they can check her out and get her spayed if the infection is gone, because if the infection is gone, her uterus won't be swollen, and they can do a regular spay. which will cost probably around $150, which luckily, we can afford. So we all have our fingers crossed that she will pull through.

    I just want to thank you all again for caring, it means a lot :)
     
  13. nern

    nern New Member

    Best wishes Nicole. Be sure to keep us posted on her progress.
     
  14. MaryNH

    MaryNH New Member

    I am so happy to hear you'll be having her spayed - you made my day :eek:
     
  15. sunset05

    sunset05 New Member

    Best of luck with Mittens (my kitty is named Mittens, too). Keep us posted on what happens.
     
  16. Nicole

    Nicole New Member

    Oh definitely, Ive wanted to since she was a kitten, but my parents, being new to having animals, didn't think it was necessary because she was an indoor cat. Me, being 8 at the time, didn't really want to argue with them. But we have learned our lesson and in the future, if I get another kitty, which I'm sure I will, long after Mitty's is gone, I will get them spayed or neutered right away.

    I guess I should have listened to Bob Barker huh? :wink:
     
  17. horse_child

    horse_child New Member

    Congrats!!!! It's so wonderful to hear that she is on her way to recovery. It's incredible how strong some animals can be!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :y_the_best:
     
  18. Nicole

    Nicole New Member

    Thanks, but today she took a turn for the worse, she completely turned around in her progress, and is now worse than she was before. She just lays on the livingroom floor, she looks like she is in so much pain, so my family and I sat down, and they let me make the decision, I decided it was time. I can't stand to see her in pain, I love her too much to let her go through that, so her appointment is in 1 hour and 39 minutes from now, ive been sitting with her and petting her all day, but she doesn't even really want to do that anymore, she just wants to be left a lone. Which I completely understand. I don't even really know what to think or say at this point, I didn't realize my heart could break into this many pieces. I hope I am making the right decision here...
     
  19. Mary_NH

    Mary_NH New Member

    you are probably making the right decision - she's telling you it's time. I'm so sorry. This is a tough disease for a sick kitty to beat.

    My thoughts are with you
     
  20. kismet

    kismet New Member

    Research says that emergency spaying is the one chance. I don't know if there's a chance at this point. some pets have turned around after being spayed after being very sick with pyometra. . It's a chance to go ahead with a spay hoping that that will turn the situation around. Maybe the infection gone too far. Only a vet would know that. My question is, why wasn't your cat spayed when she first rallied?
     

Share This Page