1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

lots of ?s about raising a maltipoo - please help!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by cappydog, Mar 19, 2005.

1. cappydog

cappydog New Member

I really want to get a maltipoo but want to be fully prepared before purchasing one. I have a lot of questions I hope you all can answer for me! :D

1) Does the maltipoo tend to look like one of the parents more? Like, if it's a maltese mom, then it usually looks more like a maltese?
    2) Does anyone have cats prior to introducing a maltipoo into their household? We have a really sweet, loving, friendly, almost dog like 3 yr old cat and are afraid that she will change her personality if we introduce a dog.
    3) Does anyone have a maltipoo that eats their cat's litter? Or their cat's food? How do you prevent that?
    4) What is the best way to introduce a dog and cat and what are ways to make them comfortable around each other?
    5) We both work full time jobs - around 8-5. What have people done who have full time jobs to raise a puppy? One of us will be able to come home for lunch to let her out and play a little but other than that she will usually be home alone around 4 hours a day. We were thinking of leaving her in a bathroom with a puppy pad? Will that work?
    6) How long does it usually take before the puppy could adjust to staying home a full 8-9 hours alone? When the dog gets older, do people let it roam or usually locked/blocked off in a bathroom/room/kitchen?
    7) How long does it usually take for a puppy to sleep through the night?
    8) I've heard people use the terms crate train and housetrain. Is there a difference?
    9) Initial costs for a maltipoo - ie spaying, any puppy vet bills, shots?
    10) Typical grooming costs?
    11) Do maltipoos need to go to obediance classes?

Thanks SOOO much for whoever replies!! I truly appreciate anyone taking the time to help me learn about taking care of a maltipoo!!!!! :D :D

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Wow, thats alot to answer

1) Does the maltipoo tend to look like one of the parents more? Like, if it's a maltese mom, then it usually looks more like a maltese?

Being they are a mix, it could draw from one or both parents. Usually in my sitings of them they tend to have the shorter legs and not so curly hair. More of a wavy coat. But really its the luck of the draw.

2) Does anyone have cats prior to introducing a maltipoo into their household? We have a really sweet, loving, friendly, almost dog like 3 yr old cat and are afraid that she will change her personality if we introduce a dog.

A cat can easily be introduced to the pup, many pups grow up playing with cats mine did. Your cat will adjust, and probably have a playmante.

3) Does anyone have a maltipoo that eats their cat's litter? Or their cat's food? How do you prevent that?

Many a dogs like to eat cat feces for some reason. Keeping the cat litter box either up or behind a baby gate would be good.

4) What is the best way to introduce a dog and cat and what are ways to make them comfortable around each other?
    Don't just force them in each others face, with cats I hear to keep them separated for couple days, so they can get to know the new scents. Then gradually let the cat warm up to pup on its own terms. Thats what I would do. Keeping a good eye on them when they are close.

5) We both work full time jobs - around 8-5. What have people done who have full time jobs to raise a puppy? One of us will be able to come home for lunch to let her out and play a little but other than that she will usually be home alone around 4 hours a day. We were thinking of leaving her in a bathroom with a puppy pad? Will that work?

That is a toughy. Because , theres no good way to potty train a pup unless you are there. More than likely you will come home to torn up pee pads. They need guidence. My pup had to go more than once an hour, and I need to let her know where was the right place. If your pup will always be using the pee pads then it would be ok. But also they need mental stimulation. Can you get a small crate and bring it to work till needed? if not expect its potty training to take a long time, I'd say.

6) How long does it usually take before the puppy could adjust to staying home a full 8-9 hours alone? When the dog gets older, do people let it roam or usually locked/blocked off in a bathroom/room/kitchen?

I would say dogs differ, but maybe a year old, without being crated. But you would know best. If it is not into destroying your couch pillows or whatnot then its ready.

7) How long does it usually take for a puppy to sleep through the night?
    I've heard people use the terms crate train and housetrain. Is there a difference?
    crate training and house trainging are sort of different. People use a crate to keep the pup from poopee'ing in the house, as a dog will usually not do that in its sleeping quarter. Making sure you take the dog out as often as needed, house training is taking them to their area, wether that be outside or a designated peepad spot in the house to do its business.

9) Initial costs for a maltipoo - ie spaying, any puppy vet bills, shots?

These costs vary among different vets. One may charge more than others. Different shots cost different amounts.

10) Typical grooming costs?
    I groom my poodles but for basic trims not dematting, $25 is about the range it is for a maltipoo

11) Do maltipoos need to go to obediance classes?
    If you don't know how to train your poo then it would be a good idea. Most any breed would beninfit from it.

12) I live in the Atlanta, GA area - anyone know of any good breeder close by? Would prefer to find one in the TN, NC, AL area so I could drive and pick up.

This forum doesn't go for passing breeder information around. Look up maltipoos and see what you can find.
    Don't worry Auspet, I didn't add any encrypted info there. LOL. Just trying to help.

3. Rene

Rene New Member

wow June great reply you covered EVERYTHING lol

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

you should look for rescues online I am sure there is something in you area. Or try the local pounds, shelters all that jazz. You should not have to pay money for a mixed breed dog (although everyone wants to charge for them) It only keeps the chain of backyard breeders breeding.