1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

lovebird plucking??

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by FMgurl43, Apr 29, 2004.

1. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

i need some advise my lovebird is plucking her feathers out under her wings she just started doing this maybe a week ago now... i got her bout 3 months ago from someone who couldnt handle her anymore because of the lovebirds mate dying she was being very loud etc... its been about 6 months since her mate died...what should i do to get her stop????

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi its sounds like she is bored and stressed but it also could be she is going through her molt and is over preeening herself.

From what i have learnt of lovebirds they prefer to be in pairs so if getting her another mate is an option i would try that see how she gets on.

Also is there any chance she could have picked up mites which would also make her pluck her feathers.
    If there is a mirror in the cage its wise to remove this as this could frustrate her since she is used to having a mate in with her and she will wonder why the bird in the mirror is not answering her back.

mike

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Sounds to me like she's bored and lonely. I'd look into getting her another mate.

4. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

thanks no she dont have a mirror in her cage....she attacked it when i first got her and put one in so i took it out... i have taken her to my cousins mother in law who is a vet and she has no mites or medical conditions i should of mentioned that earlier sorry.... as far as a mate i have been trying to find her one desperatly and no one in this area where i live have black masked lovebirds and ive heard from many ppl not to put her in a cage w/ a peachface since shes a blackmasked... im waiting on one of my lovebird breeder friends to contact me back shes fixin to have a batch of blackmasked and wont be able to feed them so shes gonna hopefully sell me a baby and i raise it..... thats the only option i have on getting her a friend.... thanks everyone again.....but in the mean time what should i do to get her to stop?????

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Hmm, I'd try lots of toys to keep her busy.

6. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

u know ive been thinking about making some toys 4 my birds myself anyone know any good sites????thanks

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

8. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

tank u... im gonna check them out now... :eek: :eek: :eek: