1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Maddy went crazy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Maddy's Mom, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Maddy's Mom

Maddy's Mom New Member

Yesterday the 26th of October my baby went crazy.I went out the back door with a bag of birdseed to feed the birds.Maddy and Bitsee(Jack Russell) were running and playing in the yard.Just as I reached the feeder I heard a growl and snarl and Maddy jumped Bitsee.It took 3 of us to get Maddy off her and in the process myself and my older son were bitten.The baby I bottled fed,loved without question and fed from a spoon turned into an animal I didn't know or could not control.After we seperated them she went back to the tail wagging,sloopy face kissing Maddy I knew.What happened here?My heart is now broken,she is being held for 10 days by animal control and I have to decide her fate.Bitsee suffered a few small scrapes on her ears and 2 small punctur wounds in her leg.She will be fine but everyone is telling me if Maddy is allowed back into our house she will probably do this again.I'm so upset all I do is :cry: .She is one of the biggest babies I have ever seen and this was way over the top for her.The two of them have snipped before but always worked it out.Maddy is 60lbs. and Bitsee is 25.Not a fair fight.I love her and don't know what to do.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

wow, I am so sorry to hear this happen. I have 2 dogs that giet into it sometimes and they arent pb one is a lab at #100 and the other is 60#, well the lab sometimes like to be dominant with my female practically crushing her and she fights back, luckily no harm. so do you think you may have missed something like your jrt may have play nipped at maddie in the wrong place that hurt and she retaliated?? a thought

honeybear

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

In a multi dog household, fights are going to occur. They argue and bicker and fight just like us Humans do.

More than likely you missed soemthing that the Jack did, or he encouraged it some way.

They will fight for dominace occassionally. Its all to be expected. Thats why they need to be supervised when together.

4. juice1348

juice1348 New Member

sucks but i wouldnt put her down or anything like that. remember, she is a dog and dogs can do things like that. you should know that you always have to watch dogs when they are together especially APBT's. i dont think she meant to bite you and your son, it was just in the heat of a fight.

5. jao_apbt

jao_apbt New Member

I would never put a dog down for fighting with another dog. Especially a pit bull. They are a fighiting breed with hundreds of years of selective breeding to be gladiators. My two boys can't be in the same room together, and in the house they can't even see each other through a crate. They have been in four fights and will never be in physical contact with each other for the rest of there lives.

In my boys four fights, I had one tooth touch me. I picked up one of my boys and held him up in the air and my other one jumped up to get him and got my elbow with one tooth, he did't hold on or anything and as a matter a fact it set him up to be grabbed by the top of his head and held off the ground(yeah, I was holding 120#'s of dog). But he definatly did't mean to bite me, I have tackled both of them in full fight, as well has my wife and they never so much as looked towards us. I don't think you can hold a dog acountable for a miss and bite when they are in fight mode.

But if your dog turned and bit you, or had redirected agression then you have a serious problem. Pit bulls are supossed to be able to tell the difference between people and dogs in fight mode. I can see some other breeds being so stressed in a fight that they snap at anything around them, but a apbt should not get that stressed in a fight. Most dogs are scared while they are fighting, but not pit bulls, they like it. My boys got in a starring match through the kennel(the sheet that covers it fell off) and my older dog(19 months) was about to lunge at my younger(17 months) boy that was in the kennel, I stopped them and covered the kennel, then I was petting the older one and looked down and he had a full out hard on, I'm not kidding, he was ready to rock and roll and was loving ever second of it.

My dogs are the best dogs I have ever had the plesure of meeting, one can't be around any other dog and the other can only be around select dogs. But they are so great with my kids and my family that it's worth the trouble to keep them seperated so everyone is safe.

Joe

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

no breed of dog knows what a 'fair fight' is. as everyone said dogs fight, they arent going to get along 100% of the time. also anyone has the potential to be bitten when breaking up a fight. even if its bewteen to chihauas! if you keep the dog its something you will have to accept. otherwise just keep it to a one dog household.

7. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Maddy didn't go crazy she and the other dog got into a fight. Its what happens when you have more then one dog. Why is Maddy being held for 10 days? You should keep them seperated, thats the best things to do.
    The thing I like about Pit Bulls is I don't have to worry about getting bit when seperating them, Chihuahuas yes I'd be scared of being nipped, my dogs no way. When my girls got into it, now that was crazy, they were loving every minute of it. It was a little hard to seperate them, I got Santana off 4 times but Val has such a tight bite that by the time she was broken off Santana got her face pretty torn up. Some of them have really tight bites so the breaking stick wont even fit in their mouths but barely, so its close to immpossible, really have to work at it. They didn't get anything too bad. I know on another yard a dog slipped its collar and Ven did a pretty good number on him, I felt really bad b/c the other dog was younger and his flesh was peeled back from the bone and he didn't know any better, he thought he could be a tough little guy. I always keep all my dogs seperated, thats the best advice I can give you.

8. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

If you choose to keep them both, you're likely going to have to keep them seperated at all times. I've broken up several fights - both by myself and with my husband's help - I've been bitten twice. Both times were honestly my fault - I got right in the middle (dumb idea) and got bitten when my girls were going for each other. Neither time was very bad at all, and both times they stopped immediately after I got in the middle of it. You should have seen the look of (1st) confusion, and (2nd) shame when I got bitten by Jasmine. You could really tell she didn't mean to bite me, and that she felt bad about it. Anyway - if you don't think you can handle keeping the 2 dogs safely, you should find a suitable home for her. She does not need to be put to sleep, because she was not doing anything any other pit bull (and many other dogs) wouldn't do. You remind me of my husband. It always amazes him when one of our dogs 'turns on'. He doesn't seem to understand that every one of them is extremely likely to become dog aggressive at some point in their life. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

9. Sara

Sara New Member

Your dog did not go crazy. She did as she was bred to do being an APBT...she fought with your other dog... I had two sisters one day they shared the couch cushion like pups laying all over one another and the very next day we had to pry them apart after a fight over a toy (one of the girls escaped her kennel while I was playing with the other... so we parted them and from that point on they were separated. GUESS which one ended up needing pryed off??? The one that always got pushed around and didn't seem willing to take it to the next level...she was the winner and KNOWS it still today... She grew up with my male and I hardly let them together even supervised because my female has gotten such a big head... Seriously...you need to keep them separate and if you own a Pit Bull in a multi dog household this type of behavior is to be expected...wether the dog was bottle fed by you and grew up with the other dog or if the dog is a rescue coming into your home as an adult... NEVER expect a bulldog NOT to fight...it's not in their nature... THAT'S part of owning a Pit Bull...it's the reality of it... I always hate hearing about people getting that taste of reality in this way but truly...this behavior was to be expected sooner or later... Some never turn on but to take that chance and end up with serious accidents...is irresponsible...

You did well in keeping them apart regularly and raising your pit. Just understand she's not crazy and is not a different dog...she's the same old puppy you raised with your own hands... DO NOT PUT HER DOWN for this...it's her nature. You CAN re-home dogs like this if need be. It's really not that hard to keep dogs separated... I have 5 dogs, the pits need separateing 24/7 (two of them) and they must be separated from the three Boerboels at all times... We live just fine without many problems... keep communication going with those in the house to ensure no accidents happen and all should be fine.

Why is she being held for 10 days?

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

it should be for rabies, but usually they are quarantined at home, I remember we had a dog that bit the mailman, and she had to be home quarantined and then when wylie got attacked this summer by coyotes she had to be home quarantined.

whenever there is a bite involved and it is reported the animal has to be quarantined, but strange they took maddie away from teh quarantine period

honeybear

11. Angie

Angie New Member

Is Bitsee your dog? If so, then who called animal control? Did you have to go to the hospital?

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Thats what I would like to know as well. htere are alot of confusing things in this post. Might just be another one to get people all fired up...

13. honeybears

honeybears New Member

she said both her and her sone were bitten adn they went to the dr for it, the Dr is required by law to report it

honeybear

14. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Thats what I would like to know Angie.

I understand the 10 day quarentine, I had a dog wrongfully accused (of b/c of her breed) of biting, never bit anyone her whoe life. But did get out the front door at a friends which is "dog at large" even though it was in her front yard. The people still called the cops/AC and said the dog bit. Had to do the whole thing. She was quarentined for 10 days at the vets for rabies as a safety thing. But this story makes no sense if the JRT is also owned by Maddy's Mom. 10 days holding is always put in play when the dog bites a person and its reported, and sometimes when other pet owners decide to take it to the next level. However fights in your home don't fall under this. I've had a few minor accidents that drew blood and this last one was a pretty bad one, but my dogs were not quarentined for 10 days. No one else knows about it, like the cops or animal control. Even had I taken one to the vet that wouldn't have happened, my friend took one of hers who had a severe lip/face injury and the dog who did that to him didn't have to be quarentined, she just made the appointment explained the accidenta and payed the bill. No reports or anything was made, so yes I'd have to say I'm very confused.

15. Sara

Sara New Member

When my girls got into it I took one to the vet (puncture wound on shoulder) and they didnt' quarantine any of my animals... and I had ONE dog on the premisis that hadn't been in for his updated rabies (I do every other year and keep close tabs on my dogs).

16. honeybears

honeybears New Member

when wylie got bit by the coyotes and I took her to the vet, he was ADVISING ME STRONGLY to report it to public health, no way, she is up to date on her rabies, it wasnt law and there was no way I giving into opening to that one.

honeybear

17. Angie

Angie New Member

Where does it say that?

18. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sorry Angie I didnt word that right, she said they got bit, i am just saying If they went to the Dr for the bite, then it has to be reported.

Truepits, I think I know what you are saying, But hopefully I think I answered it right.

until she speaks up again and asnwers some questions, My take is she tried to break up the fight, got bit, went to the Dr, Dr reported to animal control and animal control confiscated the dog.
    I dont think it matters if its your own dog or not that bit you.

honeybear

19. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Where did you hear/read this? Doesn't make much sense to me unless it was a case of a possibly rabid dog. That theory could have been dispelled by simply stating that she had been bitten while breaking up a dog fight. There are a few things about this story that don't quite add up. I wish she would reply with some answers.

20. honeybears

honeybears New Member

okay, you guys got me thinking so I am doing my homework, I know I heard somehwere that it is mandetory to report bites from Dr

so I did a search and it sounds like its enforced at the state/local level so I am wrong, I could have heard it form TV (or maybe I am really making thisup :roll: So in Calif where I live they say you should report not you have to
    and I got it off this site which makes me sick its called californiadogbites.com and they are "aggressive california personal injury lawyers" they even have dog bite injury hotline, how horrible

here is some intersting info I found on dog bites, but to me its like duh, If people wouldnt let their kids manhandle dogs (which i have seen way to much of) and keep toddlers away, i bet your would see a significant drop of ER visits

Children are the most frequent targets
    Studies of dog bite injuries have reported that:
    The median age of patients bitten was 15 years, with children, especially boys aged 5 to 9 years, having the highest incidence rate
    The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1. (CDC.)
    Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head. 77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.
    Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.
    The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.
    The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend.
    When a child less than 4 years old is the victim, the family dog was the attacker half the time (47%), and the attack almost always happened in the family home (90%).
    Here's how dog bites rank among other common causes of childhood emergency-room injuries:

Cause of injury Emergency room incidents anually
    Baseball/softball 404,364
    Dog bites 333,687
    Playground accidents 268,810
    All-terrain vehicles, mopeds, etc 125,136
    Volleyball 97,523
    Inline skating 75,994
    Horseback riding 71,162
    Baby walkers 28,000
    Skateboards 25,486

Although pit bull mixes and Rottweillers are most likely to kill and seriously maim, fatal attacks since 1975 have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictibility is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

In all fairness, therefore, it must be noted that:
    Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner most often is responsible -- not the breed, and not the dog.
    An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).
    Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be likely to bite. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack