1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Male Guppy is a bully

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by dhutch2352, Nov 3, 2004.

1. dhutch2352

dhutch2352 New Member

I have been gone for a couple of days and the female of the 2 guppies I bought is dead. There wasn't any sign of ick so I know it wasn't that. I think what happened was the male nipped all of her tail off and she couldn't swim. I found her stuck up next to the filter. all of my babies are doing great. I've been feeding them about 3 times a day, is that too much? I;m not sure what to do about this other guppy, if hes going to chew everthings fin off I can't keep him in there. Any suggestions?

2. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

-I think that if he bit off all of her tail, she might have bled to death :(

-I fed my mollie babies 3 times a day and they were just fine. I just had to watch that I wasn't putting too much in there. With my second batch, I put too much in one time, and thought hey, they will just munch on it during the day, but no they didnt, and it sank to the bottom and began to grow fungus, and killed some. So just watch how much you put in...eventually you will come to a point where you know the exact amount necessary.

-What else is in your tank? If you have bigger fish than the male guppy, they might not be harmed by his aggression. I also heard that sometimes when put with a school of fish, the aggression becomes less..

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

It is very common for the male to be like that to the female, its bound to happen, most females die of fustration or from being tired, though this is not bound to happen. If you are worried about losing another female just move them away from eachother. thats the best you can do. keep a close eye on them. Chances are she might get pregnant, the rough play between the male and female is usually a symbol of him trying to breed with her.

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

perhaps you need to increase the amount of females to males to stop him picking on and stressing the females. wot size is the tank

5. OneWolvesDream

It wont really stop much, my one male has chosen one female out of several and dosnt even bother the others.

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

That's happened to me too. At one point I had five females and four males, every single male chased after the same female non stop poor thing :(

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

she should take the attention as a compliment! lol

a bigger tank may give her more hidding places. or generally more hidding places in the current tank.

8. OneWolvesDream

Very true. So i would say put a few plants and rocks in there to give her a chance to get a break once in awhile.