1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Male Westie Puppy on PPA...alternatives????

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by westiepug, Jul 15, 2004.

1. westiepug

westiepug New Member

Hi : I am a brand new forum member. I have a 8 yr old Female spayed Pug, Jazmine, and a 6 month old Male Westie,MacDuff.

We have never been able to fully housebreak MacDuff. He was 12 weeks old when we got him (he was hand raised from birth as his mother would have nothing to do withhim & his 2 male siblings).He did have a bladder infection at 5 months and recovered from that. The urinating continued in the house every hour.The vet has now taken X Rays and has eliminated kidney and bladder obstructions, stones and pockets. He has put MacDuff on PPA three times a day. We keep him on a leash attached to us or in his crate for several hours at a time. He has only been urinating when he is excited or if someone comes to visit. My question is: what else can we do to stop this ? Does anyone know if there are any herbal supplements or other things we could try?
    Our Vet wants to wait another month or so before neutering him in the hopes that the PPA will eliminate this problem.Will this possibly help?
    Thanks for your thoughts and sorry to be sooooooo long winded. :?

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

If he is only urinating when he is excited I am thinking submissive urination. I have personally never had this problem but I believe it has been discussed many times before on the board.

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Sorry I don't have any good advice.....But Welcome to the forum!
    P.S ~We Love seeing pictures of the furbabies!~
    :wink:

4. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Sorry never had that problem either. Welcome to the fourm. I too have a pug named Jasime we call her Jazzie J.

5. westiepug

westiepug New Member

The Vet's diagnosis is a weak sphincter muscle...that is the reason for the PPA...Does anyone know how long it usually takes before results are shown? Since we take him out every 2 hours, we see no results.
    :( I am just wondering if there is another medication that could be used that would strengthen the muscle...............or if neutering would help at all.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

welcome, sorry I dont have any answers, you may want to get a 2nd opninion too since he is so young to have this

honeybear

7. westiepug

westiepug New Member

Thank you all for your replies and help.
    I have read all the recent postings on submission urination in puppies. I havealso had a second opinion....there are 5 Vets in the practice I go to.
    For now, I guess I will just try and wait it out........
    :roll: