1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

maltepoo or shi-poo similarities/differences?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by janeair, Sep 21, 2004.

1. janeair

janeair New Member

Okay, so I'm now (admittedly after seeing all the adorable shi-poos on this forum) expanding my search and research to shi-poos. My main questions:

1. For an allergic husband (who has been okay with malteses, but not many other dogs)... I think both are supposed to be pretty low-allergy but, and thoughts?

2. Relative size of these two mixes?

3. Similarities/differences in temperament?

Thanks in advance all you maltepoo and shi-poo people out there!

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Jane, this is a topic we've had a lot.... I'm sure that either maltepoo or shihpoo would be perfect for you.

I can tell you what i know about my experience with my Bailey (shihpoo).

I am deathlyyyyyyyyyy allergic to dogs... and I have no problems whatsoever with Bailey. As your hubby probably already knows, there are dogs with hair and dogs with fur. You want to find the "hair" dogs -- they shed very minimally! yeahhh..... Honestly, I had almost resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to get a dog until I did some research and was around a friend's shihtzu..... I can't recommend them enough!

As far as temperment... it's often a matter of environment and how you raise them, of course. However, I will tell you that my shihpoo is the friendliest dog ever! hehe... He is awesome with kids (of all ages), he's a lapdog when you want him to be and he isn't when you don't (which is a good thing), he's a snuggler and VERY LOYAL. He's a little tooo loyal... I can't go to the bathroom without him following me! hehe....

Bailey seems to be the "tank" of the auspet board... by weighing in at a whoppin' 14 lbs. However, he now is about 12.5 (he lost 1.5 lbs this week when he was really sick -- DON'T ASK).... Most adult shihpoos are in the 10-12 lb range.

If you have any specific questions, just ask... we love talking about our shihpoos! hehe....in the meantime, you can check out a lot of the shihpoos on the board, by clicking on the 'www' link under their posts. Most of us have a link to our dogster.com sites -- Two other Shihpoo owners are: mybabyshihpoo (who answered you on the other thread. She has two boys that were a yr old in June) and poogirl (who has two girls, who almost 6 months old).

3. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

when looking at mixed breeds there is no guarantee of size, color, look, coat, build, or temperament..
    with that being said bella is a shih-poo, her mother was a shih tzu and her father a toy poodle.. bella exhibits character traits from both breeds.. she is extremely smart, very easy going, loves children, very loving, she understands when it is a good time to play and when it's time to sleep.. i've had many friends and relatives, who don't even like dogs, threaten to take her home with them or ask me to clone her :)
    her coat does not mat easily and doesn't grow more than about 2-4 inches, but again not all shih-poo's have the same coat..
    if you have any specific questions i'll be more than happy to answer them :p

4. janeair

janeair New Member

Thansk MonsterBailey and Bellasmommy -- and may I say, that admiring your puppies' avatars, among others, is what made me start considering shi-poos. :lol:

MB -- that picture of Bailey is too cute. I'm sorry to hear he was ailing, and glad he's better.

So, onto a specific question, regarding house/potty training:

Am I correct in thinking that, if I want to train a puppy to "go" outside AND inside (weather depending, as we are here in central VT, where late fall through mid spring gets cold and WET), is it best to start in a season where I can do that ?-- it's why I've been thinking spring, rather than January, say.

My thinking is that, if I bring a new puppy home in January (which at this point, due to travel, breeding time, etc. would be the earliest we could do it) I can't do outdoor training, because the snow is likely to be higher than the puppy, and we don't have sidewalks or such that get plowed regularly -- heck, we're lucky if the village plow gets down our street. So, winters are likely to be indoor bathroom times, which is not a problem if I can train a puppy to use pads in a litter box, we have a good place for that.

But, if enough people think I can bring a puppy home in January, and still be able to train him or her to go outside starting in, say, late April or early May, I'll hasten my search!

Thanks again. JKD

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Another Shih-Poo mommy here!!

I think you've received some great advice thus far! I just want to stress that there's really no way of knowing what the adult size of your dog will be (with a mix). It all depends on what genes are the dominant ones. My girls mother (a Shih-Tzu) was 10 pounds, the father (toy poodle) was 7 pounds. My girls will be 6 months old on 9/28 and Emma weighs 6.2 lbs and Molly 6.5 lbs. Based on how I've watched them grow and their weight gain has leveled, I don't think they'll be any bigger than 9 lbs, but we'll have to wait and see :D Molly is definetely more solid than Emma, even though she doesn't weigh much more than her. Emma feels like such a peanut when you hold her!

Molly is definetely more Shih-tzu, she is more laid back (although VERY energetic, especially when playing with Emma) and her hair is soft and straight. Emma on the other hand, is definetely more Poodle. She is SOOOO energetic and can run faster than I've ever seen anything run! Once she gets going she's a riot to watch :mrgreen: Emma's hair is soft and more wavy, just like the poodle.

Collectively, they are loving, friendly, playful, smart, quiet and major lap dogs (or chest dogs, feet dogs, arm dogs.. they lay everywhere on us!)!

I chose the Shih-poo mix because I loved the calmess of the Shih-Tzu and the Smarts of the poodle. I loved that they shed very little (I barely manage to get a pile of hair, the size of a quarter, when I vacuum and that's with two puppies).

Anyway, that's my take on Shih-poos. They are a wonderful mix & I'd recommend them to anyone.

Good luck in your search & please keep us posted!

6. janeair

janeair New Member

Thanks so much PooGirl! I see that maltepoos or shipoos would make great pets. Is there anyone else who might be able to weigh in on the allergy thing? I was extremely heartened to hear MonsterBailey's happy story of no-sneezing.

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I don't know the answer about the seasonal/potty training.... sowwy.

Where are you located? You might want to find breeders of both (maltepoos and shihpoos) and take your hubby to one for an allergy-test drive. It's amazing how I do with Bailey... I'm not bothered at all. I can snuggle with him all night long and don't have any problems. But the minute I get around other breeds, I go nuts!!! :(

As far as maltepoos: I don't know about the maltese breed and the problems w/ allergies.... but, I'm sure you know that poodles are the "best" when it comes to allergies.

I vote for a shihpoo! LOL... (of course, I don't get a vote, but I like to pretend!!)

8. janeair

janeair New Member

Thanks for your update and vote :lol: for shi-poos. I would still like more input on malte-poos. There seem to be breeders within a few (3-5) hours of here. If I can find a puppy or two closer to home, I will definitely "test drive" my hub with him or her.

I know he has been fine in the past with malteses. I like them very much as well, but I have this thing about trying not to get an all white pet -- there's too much white around these parts for too much of the year, in the form of too much snow!

Any thoughts about potty training in the winter vs. spring? I do want to train to be able to "go" outside in good weather. Unfortuantely, around here that is ending soon, and won't return till late spring. That's why I was thinking of a spring puppy (well, a puppy born in midwinter that we could bring home in the spring).

Cheers. Jane

9. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Potty training in the Spring would certainly be nicer, in my opinion! My hubby and I got our Shih-Poos at the end of May so that we would have the summer to potty train and be all set before the Winter. Even though we wanted to train them over the summer, we didn't rush it. We decided that if we didn't find a reputable breeder who had a litter at that time, we'd just wait until the following summer (luckily, we didn't have to do that!).

10. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Both Shih poos and Maltipoos are considered hypoallergenic .however ,each person is different and allergies to different things afftect each person different ,so there is no guarentee on either ,just a less possibility that it would happen .
    Both hte shihpoo and maltipoo are good all round family pets .To me the shih poo is a little more layed back than the maltipoo ,but the maltipoo to me is the best all round family pet that never meets a stranger and gravitates towward children with an uncanny ability to love them on site .I had one lady to write me recently that rocky (a older maltipoo I placed with her ) had his own child now ...He seems to have adopted a toddler down the street ...So either is good and both are just beautiful ...Have a look at maltipoomammma's three and you will never see such beauty (I am alittle bit predijudice there ) ...
    Potty training has alot to do with how you go about it and how stubborn one can be and both shihpoos and maltipoos can be stubborn when they want to be ...

11. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

I have a maltipoo myself his name is Jasper. I also am very allergic to dogs but with Jasper I have had no problems at all. As for boing friendly he is the most friendliest dog ever. I work in childcare and he gravitates to every single child. He lays with them, licks them, plays with them oh everything. With people he is very friendly too he can't wait to meet new people, he loves ALL THE ATTENTION he can get. He is such a sweetheart. :kiss_heart: :kiss_heart: Goodluck on your decision :D

12. ilovemaltipoos

That 's
    my baby !!! LOL ! hI there ! How is my sweetie doing ? ! He is looking cute as ever ...LOL ! I loved hte pictures you sent !

HI JASPER BABY DOLL :eek: :: ...LOVE YA !!!!

13. Maltipoomama

Maltipoomama New Member

I would be a very bad mama if I did not reply to your post! After all, with 3 maltipoos, I should say I have a few words here. I take my 3 to work with me everyday, which some said I was crazy for doing... NOT!!!! The customers Love them, and the fact that they are hypoallergenic, well, it gives some of my customers the opportunity to be around a dog that they normally cant, because of allergies. My sister is deathly allergic to dogs, and she is able to come to my home and my mothers (mom has a maltipoo named Josie!) and she has no troubles! So, I can definitley attest to the non-allergy thing.

Potty training? Well, I am not a good one to talk to about it because I happen to have the MOST STUBBORN maltipoo (Mr. Lyle) when it comes to "I will go when I want, where I want and you won't tell me any different!" Don't know anything about inside training, although I have had my share of cats and that is the one thing I don't miss... cleaning the litterbox!!!

Actually, in his defense, Lyle has been doing "Better", but thats as far as I will go!!!

And as far as I am concerned, I absolutely love the shihpoos! Baileys captured my heart, and Emma & Molly are too cute for words! I would have a tough decision if someone came up to me and said... "Which of these two would you like!" Actaully, I would probably take them both!!! Huh Shirley! The poo cross in general has become a love of mine! It would not matter which they are, although I am madly in love with all ,my maltipoos! I know I have to stay away from the breeders sites or I will be divorced if I try for another one!!! LOL

Denise

14. ilovemaltipoos

You just love shihpoos cause you fell in love with Baby what ....that is what this is about .. ..You still wanting that little guy ...He is about 2 whole pounds now ...longest littel legs too ! LOL ! Now i really know why I called him Baby What ! LOL !
    You and sweetbetty should talk ...he s one of my babies too ...LOL !

15. Maltipoomama

Maltipoomama New Member

Ha Huh!!!!! You figured me out!!! I am secretly waiting to sneak to Alabama and kidnap him!!! 2 lbs? Oh my gosh... how adorable! Mom still talks about the little apricot maltipoo you had with you that day....

I would not dare get another.... in fact we are JUST getting ready tomorrow to finish the rest of the chainlink fence so I don't have to be paranoid about my babies!!!

Denise

16. ilovemaltipoos

Read sweetbttys post above denise and take a look At JAsper ....is he not a cutie ...He is related to your Sammy ! One of my babies ! COOL !

17. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

Hi ilovemaltipoos Jasper sends kisses :kiss_heart: We love him so much. You made us so happy :eek: We are having so much fun with him. He now weighs 6.5 lbs and is 4 1/2 months old. He has started puppy kindergarten and I want to tell you we started practicing with him early and now he is her star pupil as the instructor says. He know how to sit, down, stand, heel, fetch, and my favorite trick, walk. He looks so cute when he walks. He is very smart and observant. He watches my every move so wherever I go he is always right next to me. Here are some picture of him with the children and the older child with them is my son and the before and after grooming pictures. Too cute not to share :y_the_best: Oh and I had a Jamba Juice and well Jasper liked the straw so I cut the cup so he can have the very bottom of the juice (which was nothing) I drank it all. And well you can see what happened next. Too cute to pass up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SwtBettyLu

SwtBettyLu New Member

Let me know if you can see the pictures if not I will repost them in the morning. Sorry if it didn't work on my preview I can see them perfectly and when I submited the pictures didn't show, oh pooh :( Ms. Luli :lol:

19. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

SwtBetty.... the pictures work if you right click - properties - then copy and paste the link into the browser URL address bar! They are precious! I love the pic of him with the jamba juice cup!!! That looks like something I'd do for my Bailey! LOL.... I didn't realize your Jasper was from malti's babies.

he is soooooo pretty!! (are boys allowed to be pretty??) His coat is very very shiny! What are you feeding him?? I love that scarf of his... hehe. He looks spoiled to death... don't you just love it?? :) OH! Did you cry when you took him to his first groomer appointment?? LOL (that's what the majority of us lunatics have done! LOL...)

20. ilovemaltipoos

I LOVE THE PICTS !!!!!!!!!!! He is so darling !!!! The cup picture ...well ...that is a hoot ! Been there with a few of mine before too !!! LOL ! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I see he has his own children ! they are cuties too !
    Girl ...you make my baby happy too and that I can tell ...Lots of love to you and Jasper !

Monster ,there are more of mine here than you would think ...!!!! LOL !!!
    Isn't he a doll !!!!!!!