1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Malti-Po First heat symptoms

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by patnoscar, Dec 24, 2004.

1. patnoscar

patnoscar New Member

My 7 month old Malti-poo is having her first heat. I want to breed her later on. She seems to be a bit depressed and sad looking. She doesn't have much energy and is not eating like she normally does. Is this a normal ? How long will this last. Please help, I'm a first time puppy owner.

2. Jas

Jas New Member

Many females in heat exhibit the symptoms listed. Bitches can be bred during any normal heat - even their first so you are going to have to keep her separated from any intact males as I am sure you want to wait to breed her until she is older than two years and has all her health testing certifications - OFA www.offa.org - hips, elbows, CERF, BAER, thyroid, heart and any other diseases/conditions known to both the poodle and maltese breeds. Standing heat can be anywhere from about 2 - 21 days - so keep the boys away!!

If you plan on breeding I suggest you invest in some breeding, genetics - health, disease and canine structure books NOW so that you can become a responsible well informed breeder. There is a lot more to owning unspayed females than some people think. There should be a good reason for wanting to breed also - like your dog is an extremely good representation of the breed in conformation, health and temperament (and you have the knowledge to decipher what this means). Fact is most dogs should be neutered/spayed only a select few should be bred. There is a "sticky" post bookmarked at the top of this forum - http://auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3848 a good idea to read through the informative links.

good luck
    jas

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

No dog should be bred till you know for sure that she's passed all health tests. Just because she's in heat does not mean she's ready, remember that. She is still a pup herself. Good luck in the future.