1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Malti-Poo won't quit biting me! :(

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by patnoscar, May 21, 2005.

1. patnoscar

patnoscar New Member

Pookie is 1 year old and likes to bite my feet when ever I walk around in the house. She only does this to me and not anybody else. When I try to pick her up to give her love she won't let , so when I walk away she will even jump up and bite my leg or butt.
    I work fulltime and I know she is excited to see me when I get home and I do give her attention. But this bitting thing is really getting bad. I do give her a time out outside when she does it , but I don't think she gets it. Any advice?

2. nern

nern New Member

Maybe you can teach her to play fetch or something in replace of this behavior? Encourage her to carry a toy in her mouth whenever you are around and periodically take the toy and toss it to her. As soon as you walk into the same room as her encourage her to pick up a toy before she even gets a chance to start biting your feet.

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Have you tried using Bitter Apple? 99% of dogs hate it.
    Ive worked with a lot of dogs that the owners have 'taught' to play bite their hands (pushing them away, grabbing at them....playing) or play 'footsie' with them which results in this kind of behaviour (not saying you did this just that its the most common reason for it), when they are younger and theyre smaller they dont bite as hard but the dog continues when theyre older....because thats what theyve been trained to do.
    With the Bitter Apple you squirt a little on your feet/hands and sometimes a little (a short quick squirt) in the dogs mouth. Its all natural and the only side effect Ive ever seen is occasionaly some dogs will hypersalivate for a few minutes because the taste is disgusting (accidently tasted it a few times myself :shock: ).
    I know you said you work full time but do you have time to enroll the pup in obedience classes, this should give you all round better control of Pookie. As she only does this to you, along with the reluctance to be held by you I think there is a 'miscommunication' between you and her, when a dog acts differently to only specific people in the household its usually either a dominance issue where other family members have already got the message across to the dog that they are socially above the dog or its a behaviour that you have allowed her to get away or inadvertanly encouraged, whereas other family members have not permitted this.
    Your right about giving her a time out....she wont connect the biting to getting a time out.