1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Marineland 2 Question

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Obelix, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey,

I found this aquairum at bigalsonline and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with bigsals and if their was any obvious reason why this would be a bad idea for a tank

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/pro ... 253;pcid2=

also anyone know of a good commerical chem for fishless cycles?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you mean something that instantly cycles or speeds up the cycle, the only one I know of that actually works is BioSpira. However, it is supposed to be unavailable until at least late summer. Most of the other bacteria-in-a-bottle products don't work because they are not kept refrigerated so the bacteria is dead by the time you get it.

If you can get some media or gravel from an already cycled tank (some LFS's will give you a bit of theirs), that will help speed the cycle up a little.

-Chelle

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

I ordered compact flourescent lighting and a co2 system from bigals yesterday and I can definitely say that I couldn't find anywhere else that had items as cheap as they do. And supposedly my items will arrive tomorrow and I didn't even pay for express shipping. Hopefully everything will go well as I haven't ordered from them before.

As to the tank, I think the eclipses are good. My small 5 gallon is a wal-mart eclipse tank (identical to the marineland only about $40 cheaper) and I love the way everything is built into the hood so that you don't have filters and cords all over the place.

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Thanks for the info tina, let me know if everything arive alright, what I ment by chemicals was something that adds ammonia to the water? Last time i eneded up losing many fish breakin in the tank. And ive had my best luck with "Cycle" but i know that theese bacteria adders are rather controversal. I keep a very small wisper in my 5 gallon so that when i chnage that will be nice an loaded but the problem still stands I dont have a good wy of adding ammonia in an empty tank.

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

If you can just find plain ammonia in a drug store I think that is what most people use. Or, I've also heard about people just putting in fish food and letting in decompose in there to start off the cycle. I think this would probably take a bit longer though.

I will post back when my lights arrive and let you know how it goes. I just love being a guinea pig :lol:

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

LOL, actually I was told to spary like windex or something in their becuase it has ammonia in it, but god only knows what the other chemicals in that would do to my fish :shock: I havent seen plain ammonia anywere but I'll keep looking, speaking of puinea pig one of the lfs around here even said they used their hardiest goldfish to break it in but I think thats a bit cruel. Thanks a ton!