1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Masticatory muscle myositis ??

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Has anyone ever heard of this or experianced it? I just read up on it a bit and it says its a large/giant breed problem that causes the 2m fibers in the jaw to swell or abscess causing the jaw to not be moveable. It says its not determined to be genetic and its unknown what causes it.

Was just wondering if anyone had experanced it before and any advice i could give to the owner. They said he's not doing so good and his jaw is immoveable at this point. UGH sooo sad. He's a GORGEOUS boy!!!

2. Alasse

Alasse New Member

My Scooby got that.

They need to get their dog to the vet immediately!! The sooner it is diagnosed and treated, the more chance the dog will recover with very few side effects. Masticular myositis can be fatal, and in a lot of cases is. It is caused by a problem in the body's immune defence system, in other words the body turns on itself (in this case the jaw muscles) instead of protecting it

I spent much time with a syringe to keep Scooby cool & hydrated (he was affected in summer, he could not pant to cool off) & food was pretty much liquid so i could syringe that into him also. Scooby lost a lot of weight, and to be honest i thought we were gonna lose him.

Thankfully i got my guy seen to within a day of noticing he could not open his mouth, nor could his mouth be opened manually. My vet told me this is what saved his life and gave him the chance to pull through. My guy was put on an aggressive steroid treatment for quite a while. His only side effect is the affected side of his face is droopier than the other.

3. Samsintentions

He's at the vet in intensive care. I'll pass the information on to him. I know the outlook wasn't looking good for him. He's lost over 30lbsand this is one loved and pampered pooch! I'm hoping he'll pull thru!!!!

4. Alasse

Alasse New Member

Fingers crossed for him!! Poor baby, its a gonna be a hard fight!

5. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Keeping the pup in my thoughts hope he recovers soon.....
    I've never heard of such a thing.... how horrible

6. Samsintentions

I heard from his owner this morning. He pulled out his feeding tube, but was up wanting to play. They still can't get hism outh open more than a slight bit, but hopefully the high doese of prednisone will change that soon!

HOpefully he pulls thru!!!

7. Alasse

Alasse New Member

Thats awesome news!

Scoobs jaw took a while until he could gain full use of it again....

8. Samsintentions

yeah figured it would take a while. He's home now. they put his tube back in so he can eat and wants to play. Sounds like improvements but he's not letting his hopes up just yet.