1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

maxie's on meds again :(

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lynnhaz, Dec 9, 2004.

1. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

well...we got the fecal back...that my vet sent out for a special culture, and it is postive for clostridium still. high levels. :(

i am sad. :( a month ago i i took max off his meds (metronidazole) after weaning him for about a month. he had been on meds...without interruption from 3 mos of age to 11 mos of age. now...he has to go back on. the clostridium produces an enterotoxin that can ultimately be fatal in some animals. he has the toxins....that are created by so much bacteria.

so he is on azithromax (antibiotic) and budesinide...which is a steriod that is absorbed only through the intestine. that is to get the inflammation down.

my vet wanted to put mikey and chris on an antibiotic too...but the foster volunteer didnt agree. why treat an animal with an antibiotic if they dont have symptoms? im not sure...anyone have any advice for the other two? i would like to get a second opinion. im gonna do some research on the web. i think the rationale is that if max is infected with the bacteria, the other two could be too...and he doesnt want max to continue to be reinfected if the other two develop it.

im gonna call my vet today to talk to him again. we talked yesterday...but i still have more questions. :0011:

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm sorry, Lynn. It must be very hard to go through this again. At least Max is easy to medicate (I think you've said that, anyway). Best wishes to both of you! We're all here for you.

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I can only guess how stressful this may be. I hope that everything works out. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

4. Michelle Wachniak

Michelle Wachniak New Member

Sorry to hear that Lynn...........I wish you and your babies peace and health. Good vibes and prayers for you all.

5. vene

vene New Member

I'm so sorry Lynn. :( I wouldn't want to put Mikey and Chris on uncecessary meds unless they are definitely infected as well. Max should be able to fight off the infection since he's on meds again without being concerned about reinfection from the other two. Ask different vets on their opinions and practices. *HUGS*

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

hope he's feeling better soon

7. i_love_my_ollie

i_love_my_ollie New Member

best wishes n i hope he gets well soon :love_y_t_much: *hugs for you both*

8. nern

nern New Member

I'm sorry lynn. :(
    Can't the other cats have their stool tested for this as well?

9. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

:cry: oh lynn! i'm sooo sorry to hear this.
    dont worry... \:D/ grey skies are gonna clear up! put on a happy face.... \:D/

i'm sure things will be fine

*hugs and luvins*

10. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about max :(

Good luck to you and your little men!

11. Starry

Starry New Member

I'm really sorry to hear Max is poorly again, I hope he gets better very soon. Give him a hug from me.

I don't think Mikey and Chris should be given antibiotics unless they are infected. Could you get them tested? When Pudcat had giardia, Fudgie managed to stay free of the parasite, despite them sharing litter trays and being as affectionate to each other as always. It doesn't always follow that cats living together get the same things. A second opinion sounds like a great idea.

12. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

=P~ thanks you guys for the feedback. two vets have told me to put the other two on antibiotics for seven to ten days. i am going to talk to dr. grant tomorrow. i scheduled a consultation.

i took mikeys fecal in at the same time...they didnt see anything, but they did it at the clinic...but the fecal that max had costs 150.00 because it is sent out to a lab for special testing. its the eliysa test that tests specifically for the enterotoxin that is produced by so much bacteria. even if they found clostridium in their stools...it is present in all animals and humans. max just has toxic levels of it.

so...i am also giving max acidophilus sprinkled on a little wet food to help restore some good bacteria in there. i am going to talk to dr. grant about diet...there are some studies that suggest fibre in diet can aid the intestional track...move things through a little more quickly, so that bacteria doesnt build up in there. im still learning about the food issue and how it plays a part. i will let you know what dr. grant says.

thanks everybody for the support and posts...it really means alot to me. :love_y_t_much:

13. vene

vene New Member

Any updates? :0011:

14. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

yes...i talked to dr. grant yesterday and had tons of questions. ultimately, we decided to take him off the zithromax and budesinide and put him back on metronidazole....then change his diet to a canned hypoallergenic diet, if he will eat it. good luck i say!!! chris and mikey love the rabbit and peas...max....fuhgitaboudit!!!! lols :roll: so i have duck, and venison to try. if he wont eat that...plan b....whatever that is. :0011:

then...sunday night to monday morning he is going to fast for 8-10 hours, and i am taking him in for a blood test that my doctor is sending out to texas a & m for testing...which is the best place in the country to determine gastrointestional disease/problems. :eek:

so keep your fingers crossed everybody. [-o< im glad he is off zithromax. his diarrhea was worse on it. :-& total liquid. multiple times a day. and...i am not giving mikey any more antiobiotic. he explained his rationale...but he also understood mine. its not like max just came up with this problem. if mikey was going to get it...he probably already would have.

thanks for the support everybody!! :kiss_heart:

15. vene

vene New Member

Good luck Max! :eek: