1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe Im just easily amused

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by luvmyangels, May 27, 2009.

1. luvmyangels

luvmyangels New Member

but I find peoples reactions to Buster funny. He sure takes "people watching" to a new level LOL

This afternoon I was on the way to take my almost 5 year old to preschool. I had my youngest (almost 4) and Buster with me, a typical school day walk for us. As we're crossing a street a lady sitting in the first car asks "Is that a Saint Bernard?" and then asks his age. When I told her he's 14 weeks her eyes about popped out of her head and she chuckled "good luck".

At that point Buster was walking perfectly, loose leash and right at my left side while the girls were holding hands on my other side.

I like to think I have a clue what I got myself into with Buster. I spent many months researching breeds, Saints and several other giant breeds were at the top of our list. I have wanted a Saint since I was 13 (I'll be 30 in a couple weeks) so when I saw the ad in the paper (I know, I know...) for his litter I jumped at the chance to bring my dream puppy home....little did I know at the time he'd be everything I wanted.

We're now faced with these kind of comments constantly. Ive heard everything from I must be stupid to have a dog this size, asked if Im crazy for bringing in a huge dog when I have a little house. Even one person *telling* me I "NEED" a female so I can breed...NO WAY, NO HOW! Buster is a super sweet boy but I dont know nearly enough to breed...Buster will be neutered in the next couple months ($$ is already set aside for his surgery).

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Don't take what people say offensively.

I go to Petsmart and all over the place with my boerboels. Usually two or three at a time. I think its funny, on occasion i would take all 7 of them to petsmart on leashes, andpeople would part like the sea and amke comments as to how i could afford to feed them, how do i control them, ect...

I just laugh it off most of the time. However when someone makes an obscenely retarded question i will educate them (as nicely as possible).

3. luvmyangels

luvmyangels New Member

I only take offense at the comment that was meant that way...ex-sister in law questioning my sanity for bringing Buster into a small house. She breeds Yorkies (not a responsable breeder by any means, in it purely for the money). My husband heard the comment and said I didnt over react a bit. I reassure the little old ladies that way by the house to pet him that I did my research before bringing him home so I know what I got myself into. Todays comment was far more entertaining...I enjoy people watching anyway, Buster just adds to it.

My dad questioned my sanity for a bit...until he figured out Buster was a house dog (forever) and we're doing everything the right way. All I asked is that they (dad & step mom) meet Buster and give him a chance before they say they dont like him. Buster will win them over in a heartbeat!

They're probably in awe that you have the bond with each of the dogs to be able to control them all at once.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Well that and people have the whole "Bad dog" implanted in their heads and see a big scary looking dog and immediately go into defense mode. THen after seeing them and meeting them they change their minds fairly quickly...I let the dogs do most of the talking. And if people can't appreciate them for what they are and understand their purpose then they don't deserve the attention from me or m y dogs anyway!

Not everyone will agree all the time. but its what makes everyone who they are i supose!

5. luvmyangels

luvmyangels New Member

Maybe Im the odd one, I dont see anything scary about your dogs. Given a choice between your dogs or the same amount of small breeds....I'd go with the big guys. Little dogs always seem to want me for lunch...and not as a guest!

Its adults I see shy away from Buster the most, especially after asking his age. The kids, especially preschoolers, havent been corrupted to believe a big dog is a bad dog. Most cant wait to get their fingers in Busters fur (every child that has touched him asked me first, without prompting!)...he adores kids, spends most of the time belly up, tail going as fast as he can wag it. I admit to using Buster, he's helping educate the little ones on how to behave around big dogs and that just because he's big doesnt mean he'll eat them.

Nope, we wont all agree on everything...what a boring world that would be! I tend to keep my distance when I have Buster and let others approach us. I dont want to force him on anyone that may be afraid...I may be more sensitive to that since my girls are over coming a fear of dogs (all animals, really).

6. Sara

Sara New Member

WOW... I missed this but I have to comment... I have two danes and a Caucasian Shepherd and the responses to those guys... Kids are the best with the Danes because they are in total AWE of the dogs...nobody runs up to them for sure...not kids...usually they smash into dad's leg and grab his hand and say something about the dog over there...

Datvi on the other hand...the Caucasian Shepherd, it's always a love hate relationship with her...people either love her and she loves them back or they hate her and she hates them back...she ALWAYS loves kids though...I hate to scare parents but kids in strollers or about that size fascinate her...she ALWAYS pulls to get her nose in their faces or bellies...this of course only after the parents head our way to meet the bear looking dog...LOL...they rethink the idea a second later when she's smooshing at their kids...and they're smooshing back...LOL...it's great.

One thing I do have a hard time with the Great Danes is that people always think for some reason that little dogs can just come running up to us...like they go out of their way to bring them too us and I think it's because of that silly picture of the dane looking at the Chi...MY danes see small dogs as squeeky toys...I didn't raise them, they were both rescues so I feel bad about the whole thing but given their size out in public I'm not about to trust some stranger's Chi to my Dane's Mouth etc...it's nuts.

People's reactions to big dogs are GREAT to watch and mess with...even just when they stare as you pass by or something...I LOVE it. LOL

Sara