1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Melanotaenia boesmani profile ...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Dec 9, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

How big do these fish get (boesmani rainbows). I have read on three different sites three different sizes.
    They said 6 inches, 4 inches, and 2 inches. Which one is it.
    Thanks.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Wow! There does seem to be quite a bit of disagreement on their size. I saw stuff from 3" - 7", but I think the average of what I was seeing is around 5".

-Chelle

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Tyler, Most likely, in an aquarium, the largest they will get is 4 inches. There are several reasons for the discrepencies. Some of the posts have probably not kept one long enough to get to full aquarium size or was in too crowded conditions. The 6 inch length is probably correct in their native habitat. Fish raised in an aquarium will not get to the size they get in their native habitat. If anyone tells you they will they don't know what they are talking about. If they are pond raised they will get closer to the size grown in their native habitat. If you check on Turquoise Rainbows the general concensus is 4 inches but I have seen a Turquoise that was pond raised that was a good 6 inches in length. Try this link for information on Rainbowfish. Some other nice specimens are Dwarf Neon, Trifasciatus, and Turquoise.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Out of curiosity, why not?

Oh and another possible reason for the discrepencies (especially with claims of seemingly really large specimens is some sites could be giving their measurements in standard length (not including the tail - the best way to measure fish) and others might be giving it in total length (including the tail).

-Chelle

5. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

The restrictive size of an aquarium compared to their native habitat affects harmone production. What is even stranger is the effect of having the ability to see through the sides of the aquarium has on growth. I can't explain why but if you take two fish the same size, place one in a 100 gallon aquarium and place the other one in a 100 gallon pond and maintain both the same and feed the same amount of food each day, the fish in the pond will grow larger than the fish in the aquarium. Also the colors on the fish in the pond will be much brighter.