1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Microchip?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Piper's Mom, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I am wondering how many of you have had a microchip placed in your dogs for identification? I made the decision to have one placed in Piper while she was already under anesthesia today. My vet highly recommended the procedure, especially because she is an APBT. She said it could be a life/death deal breaker if she were picked up by Animal Control without tags. I do not believe she will ever find herself in this situation, but in life ... anything is possible.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I have mine microchipped, its well worth it, and I agree with the reasoning your vet said,

do you have a cone for her so she doesnt lick her stitches? just make sure she satys quiet for a few days so she doesnt open them up

honeybear

3. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I pick her up tomorrow (her surgery was this morning) and I "assume" they will give me a cone. The vet told me they put in staples because they are harder to pull out. I am off Friday - Monday and plan to be with her the whole time. Thanks for the advice!

4. Angie

Angie New Member

I HAD to take Shianne to get microchipped about a week or two ago. I watched them do it. All they did was stick her with a needle. (in the shoulder area). She didnt even flench. It was a little bitty micro in the end of the needle. Then they scanned it to show us how it would work.

I asked her why it was mandatory for only Pit Bulls. She said that too many people come in and try to claim dogs (Pit Bulls) that are not theirs. And they said they can't always tell from pictures and when owners come in most of them don't have any pictures to identify their dog.

One woman asked if we breed our dogs and I answered that I would never breed my dog. And she said "Well, its not always your choice." And she got an attitude with me so I knew she didn't like it when I talked back to her.
    I told her that I do have a choice. I have a choice because my dog stays inside, in the kennel when I am not home and she is only outside when I am outside.
    I mean there is no fence around my yard, I HAVE to be outside with her. She is always in the kennel when I am not home.
    So that would never be a problem for me.
    I know she was mad.
    But oh well.

5. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Way to go, Angie. :eek: I'm glad you stood up to that silly lady ... obviously she doesn't know what it is to be a "responsible pet owner".

I had no idea it was mandantory any place??? The reasoning sounds good, but making it MANDANTORY? Hmmm - I'm not sure how I feel about that. Piper is also inside most of the time and in her kennel ANYTIME we are not home. We do have a fence, but I still don't let her outside by herself.

6. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I have all my girls microchipped. It's a great way to identify your dog if they are ever lost and end up in the pound or even in some cases if they were stolen. Angie wow I have never heard of microchipping being mandatory either.

7. Angie

Angie New Member

The only reason that I had a problem with it, was because I thought if one breed should have to be microchipped, then all breeds should have to be microchipped.