1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Molly's gallore

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, May 18, 2004.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

Hiya,
    Today, baught myself to Mollies, one is nearly all black, and the other is black and white.

Male and female.

When i was purchasing them, they were already mating.

The male was chasing the female, bitting her fins, and then breeding with her, even when i got them home, they were still at it!

Are they rambunkious or what?

Do moolies breed like Guppies? The whole gravid spit, getting fat and dhow all the same signs o dropping as a Guppy mum?

Thank you,

Amy. x
    Amy. x

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Yes, they are alot like guppies in the sense that they reproduce very quickly and are livebearers. In my oponion the mollies are even more hardy than the guppys. As for a gravid spot, I think that would be impossible to see when they are black.

Good luck!

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Have you tried adding a little bit of aquarium salt to the tank? I've heard that mollies are espically prone to disease and infection and watch out disease isnt the only thing their prone 2 :wink: might wanna consider a breeding tank,

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

Yeah, iv heard they like salt.

They are in a community tank.

Tetra's, loaches, plecs, cglass catfish etc, can they live with salt.?

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

wow! amys on a roll!! so how many does that make it? how are your other pregnant ones doing?
    as i told you already my tuxedo gave birth and at first it was hard to tell because she was mostly black. but i looked carefully and you will notice that the gravid spot is kinda light. more of a misty grey.

also i have a question for everybody, my male tuxedo is chasing all the females around..i know what that means but.... he is also chasing my female that gave birth in the early hours that i only discovored later. well he has had no luck with any of the fish exept for my female red watgail platy,she has been quite welcome towards him. you can tell they are doin a courtship and all but when they are done swimming together he goes off chasing all the females. is he trying t mate with all of them??

14 females
    1 male (playa!)
    10 and up fry

also the female that he is always in courtship with she is kinda old. i just bought her because the petstore had her in a 5 gal. tank and she was stunting her growth. so i went and got her also because my female red wagtail platys male just died and i wanted her to have a friend and they only had the one female left so i did the most humain thing i could and bought her. will she die if she gives birth at a kinda old age? she is 3 inches (her max. length) and about one inch wide.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Loaches & plecos don't do well with salt, so I don't recomend adding it.

-Chelle