1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

moving , how do i transport fish 50 miles?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by rinkrat, Aug 11, 2004.

1. rinkrat

rinkrat New Member

I could definately use some suggestions here. I am moving and my new home is a 50 mile drive. I have a 70 gallon with 3 catfish and a tinfoil barb and a needlenose gar. Most of the fish are about 5" the gar is about 7" and one catfish is about 9". Any suggestions on how I can move the fish 50 miles without too much trauma. Should I lower the water in the tank and transport them in the tank, or should I put them in 5 gallon buckets? How will I create oxygen and keep the water heated? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Matt

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Definitely don't move the tank with water in it, not only will it be incredibly heavy, that's a good way to crack the glass.

I'd put the filter media in a bag or bucket with water. Then get some coolers and battery powered air pumps. Put the fish in the coolers and drill holes in the lids for the air lines. That should give them plenty of oxygen and the coolers will keep the temperature fairly stable.

When you get to where you're going, get the tank set up again first thing.

-Chelle

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Is it possible for you to go up to your new place ahead of time and get some sort of temporary set-up going before you move your actual tank and inhabitants? Just a suggestion. Good Luck!

4. rinkrat

rinkrat New Member

Ok thanks for the info. I think I wll try the cooler with some tank water and media in it. Thanks again, Matt :lol:

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I agree with t_chelle 100% because I have to move my fish too and that is exactly what I had to do. But remember to take as much if not all of the water out of the tank, because trust me, if you have a large tank it is going to be quiet heavy alone!

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Ziploc bags are good, because sometimes I even use them, but they are more likely to burst than if you put them in a bucket since the plastic isn't really thick.