1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Moving The Guppies ?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by :o)rosie:o), Dec 28, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

I will be transporting approximately 20 guppies sometime in the near future in our family car. The trip will take no longer than 20 mins. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what i should transport them in? I want to cause as little stress to the fish as possible of course. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would just see if you can get a few bags from your LFS and transport them that way (make sure to have 1/2 of the bag with water and the other 1/2 with air). Then put the bags in a cooler so they don't get too cold.

-Chelle

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

whenever i am transporting fish to the LFS to sell i use ziplock bags, the gallons sizes, but thats because i have big fish.

4. :o)rosie:o)

Thankyou for your advice. I will try and get some bags from an lfs. So i should fill the bag halfway with tank water, collect the fish and tie the bag off? Any ideas as to how many fish to each bag? I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 as they are not large fish. With the cooler, should i add water to the bottom of the container and how much should i put in? If so, should i use tap water to fill the cooler or tank water? i wondered if the temp of normal tap water would be too low for the fish..
    Thanks again

5. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

this is just a suggestiopn as I am inexperienced in transporting fish but I would use the bags from the lps as said before and I would use tank water...so yeah I'd use tank water...

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Since it's only for 20 minutes, you could proabaly fit about 5 - 10 in each bag just fine (I've taken 10 - 15 juvenile african cichlids to the LFS in a standard sized bag). And just use tank water to fill the bags.

No, you don't have to put water in the cooler, just the bags. It's just to insulate them a little and keep them from getting too cold (also makes it easier to carry them).

-Chelle

7. :o)rosie:o)

Thanks a lot for all of your help.

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i'd put 5 to 10 in zip loc bags and make sure the don't over heat or get to cold