1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My 15 year old Pom

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by cleo's mom, Mar 21, 2004.

1. cleo's mom

cleo's mom New Member

I have a 15 year old Pomeranian (I've had her since she was 5 months old). She is our "baby" but I am worried about her. She has trouble seeing, hearing and walking. We take her to the vet on a regular basis (they call her an "old timer") and she is in general good health (eats well, moves her bowels 2-3 times/day) but can barely stand up and is very lethargic and cries frequently :cry: . I notice that when I cuddle with her (which is whenever I can) she stops crying. Although I know she can't live forever I am concerned that she will not be with us much longer. What can I do to keep her as comfortable as possible?

P.S. She has had thyroid disease for many years (she's on synthroid) and has lost much of her fur and was born without a ball joint in her right front knee.

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Oh Cleo's mom, I am so sorry to hear that.... I don't have any good/professional advice other than the LOVE HER WHENEVER YOU CAN, cuz that is obviously what she wants and needs. :( Do you think she is crying cuz she is in pain? or just cuz she's just "feelin miserable" in general? Bless her heart and yours. I would GUESS that if she was in pain that the vet would be able to give her a little something to take the edge off (without totally messing up her quality of life).

Keep giving her the TLC that you are giving her.... are you with her during the day? Are you able to spoil her then too? If not, perhaps someone who can come by during the day for some TLC too?

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Maybe a good glucosamine chondroitant product and ask your vet about something like deramax. It can help take the edge off the pain. The glucosamine helps to lubricate the joints. You may know that already. My poodle takes both of these things. You know I recall a man I knew, he has a very light cream pom, nearly white that has no cartlige at all in the hind legs and that dog dose not even act like theres a problem. Give your dog as much love as you can. It will be up to you and your vet to come up with when your pom has had enough. If you know what I mean. I wish you all the luck.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I'm sorry to hear...

Cleo's mom~

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your pom...my heart goes out to both you and her :( Unfortunately, I don't have any words of advice for you, but I just wanted to say that I am wishing the best for her (and you of course)!

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hi Cleo's Mom,

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about your pom ~ having never been through anything like this, I'm not sure what to suggest.. except to do what you are doing and spend as much time w/her cuddling as you can :) I'll be thinking of you and wish you both the best.

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I am sorry to hear about you pom. It sounds like you have given her a wonderful life and she is lucky to have you there with her. I would recomend the glucosamine for her joints. My husky is on this and is alot more comfortable. She has arthritis in her back hips. Well good luck to you guys!

7. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

does she have a nice comfy orthopedic bed?

they have very pricey ones.

my mother and i both got our pups (bella 2 years old and sasha 14 years old) beds at target. they were not pricey, they are not orthopedic beds but they are nice. they both love them. they are very comfy :)

if you want to look into a good ortho bed check out www.drsfostersmith.com

other than that is she on any medications or vitamin supplements? is she eating senior food?
    are her food bowls raised to her level?

8. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I am sorry to hear about your baby .Try what Puttin says .I have heard it works sometimes really well for some dogs with that type problem.She just needs to be with you now .She wants all the reassurrence that you are still there with her .It is important to her to be held and know she is loved .Unconditional love they give and those that give that back ...like you are ...are blessed in all ways ..Hold her as much as you can .Thoughts and prayers headed your way !

9. cleo's mom

cleo's mom New Member

Thanks to you all

Thank you for the wonderful response over the plight of my Cleo. I have tried all the suggestions offered at one time or another. I can't put her in a dog bed because she if she does try to get out of it she falls over due to her failing sight and the weakness of her legs. I have created a little sleeping area for her by taking a cardboard box and lining it with newspaper on the botton, carpet padding in the middle and soft washable baby blankets on top. She seems to like it and this way I can bring the box up to the side of my bed, in front of the fireplace or anywhere I am. The thing that amazes me is that although she seems so frail her appetite is always good and the vet has told us that at this point in her life we shouldn't worry about her diet as much and we can supplement her dog food with bread (which she loves). She has been such a wonderful companion. I adopted her after I was resigned that I could not have children. She had been an unwanted, mistreated puppy and when she came to me she had a broken leg and had never been groomed (go figure :roll: ). We nursed her back to health and she has been a loving companion ever since. The ironic thing is that when she was 3, I got pregnant and she turned out to be my son's "guardian" - so when I hear that Poms are not good pets for children I am amazed. One of my biggest fears is that when she does pass my son (now 12) will be totally devastated (he adores her - and is so gentle with her). I'm so glad I found this forum because so many people seem to think that a pet is just that. My Cleo is a member of my family and much loved. My husband jokingly says that she will outlive us all. Which brings us to another heartwrenching thought - when is euthanasia something that we would consider? I can't bear the thought :( , but I don't want her to suffer - does anyone have any opinions on this?
    Again, thank you all for your suggestions and compassion. God bless you all.

10. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

Re: Thanks to you all

to answer your questions euthanasia should be considered when there is no quality of life left.
    this means she can no longer enjoy the little things, like cuddling with you and getting kisses.
    in the mean time enjoy the time you have left with her.
    she may be crying because she is scared, she cannot see well, hear well, or walk well, which is very scary if you are alone and don't know what's going on.
    it sounds like you are doing an excellent job at caring for her and comforting her.

11. Peek-A-PooPal

Peek-A-PooPal New Member

My heart really hurts for you! I don't have any profesional advice but I had a five pound Peek-a-poo that lived to be almost nineteen (my oldest dog ever). I think the thing that gave her the most comfort and pleasure was being close to us. I made a little frontpack carrier that my husband and I could both use. I put her in that while I did housework, yardwork, rode my bike, took walks, etc. Most of the time she just slept in it, but I found if I left her too long on her own she would become agitated and disoriented. I wish I had some some magic remedy. You have my thoughts and prayers. Good Luck in this bittersweet time.