1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My 3 year old cat is lethargic and won't eat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by roxi's mom, Jul 16, 2008.

1. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

My 3 year old Roxi has been lethargic and wont' eat. Wednesday of last week, she was having trouble jumping up onto the bed. Her food is up on the counter in the laundry room, and I usually carry her in there each morning. (She is quite spoiled) Anyway, Thursday, she was licking her lips like some cats do before they vomit, and I told my husband that I thought she was getting sick. Friday she started getting really lethargic and would not really eat. Saturday, She just did not want to move. I got some wet food, and she ate about 1 tablespoon and drank about 1/2" of water from her bowl and then for the rest of the day, nothing. She had this kind of "gaze" in her eyes and she just couldnt move. Sunday, she just layed down. no food, no water. nothing. Yesterday, Monday, I took her to the vet and he gave her fluids and an anitbiotic shot. I fed her through a syringe with liquid food last night and some water. Today, she seems a little more "alert" and is walking better, but the doctor only has one test back and wont' confirm anything until other test results come back later today. He says he suspects a liver problem. Anyone experience something like this? I cant see how these symptoms have much to do with a liver problem. She is peeing ok but no bm since probably about thursday, although she really hasn't eaten. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

is there any possiblity she got into something toxic? Antifreeze, household cleaners, etc.

3. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

I just spoke with the Vet and he said that her blood work showed her liver enzymes high, something about muscle enzymes being high also, and a high potassium level so high that this kitty shouldn't be alive. He asked about her behavior and she is more alert. He said it is possible that, although he has never seen it in cats, it could be addisons disease or toxoplasmosis. He said it is possible that she may have been bitten by a snake or spider perhaps. He wanted to run an ekg on her heart and more subcutaneous fluids and tytracycline. Still a mystery though. Doesn't think that there is permanent muscle damage, but we are not out of the woods by any means. I will be bringing her back there this afternoon for the fluids, and will hold off on the ekg at this point, (he agrees) to see if she perks up on her own.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I probably missed you - but you should ask your vet to teach you to do fluids at home. They will give you all the supplies and you could do it rather than adding the stress of taking her to the vet multiple times to have it done.
    Hope she continues to improve

5. Lovemykitties!

Lovemykitties! New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty’s health problems. I discovered this forum myself when my cat had a health problem a month or so ago, and have been coming back ever since. I know how upsetting and powerless it can be to watch a beloved pet suffer. I really hope she perks up. Just take comfort in knowing you are doing all you can for her. Please continue to let us know how she is doing.

6. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

I brought Roxi back to the vet yesterday for another round of subQ fluids, I spoke with the Doctor, and he said that in 30 years, he has never seen a case of Addissons in a cat, but it is "textbook". I started her on Prednisone and Tetracycline this morning, and she is a little more alert. She licked on some "real" cat food (I am syringe feeding her) this morning, and she also drank some water on her own. She purred for the first time last night and this morning, but I know that we are not out of the woods by any means. Does anyone know about Addissons Disease? Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

7. Lovemykitties!

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

don't use purring as a guideline to how well she is doing. Cats will purr when injured or dying.
    This is a good recipe for feeding ill cats (made for syringe feeding)
    AD canned food (supplied by vet it's a prescription food)
    NutraCal
    unflavored Pedialyte

mix into a slurry that is wet enough to go in/out of the syring.
    the AD food is good, the NutraCal adds extra vitamins/minerals and the Pedialyte is for hydration

We use that for fosters who won't eat or can't eat on their own and they really perk up with that

9. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

Thanks for the links. looks like this is more "common" in dogs than cats. The Dr. DID say something about her slow heart rate.

My son said that she ate a little more and drank water while I am at work. I believe that my cat is taking the AD food given to me by the vet.

What is NutraCal and where could I pick this up at? Is this something that I can get from the Vet's office also?

My Roxi is not the most affectionate cat, and while she has been ill, she has been much more "tolerant" of being held. Today, she fought me about being held (like my Roxi does). She is walking better, although she seems to move her hind legs very stiffly and her back is kinda haunched over. Her eyes don't have that "gaze" to them right now either. I am checking on her every couple of hours, and still syringe feeding in conjunction with whatever she may or may not eat on her own.

Will keep you posted. Thanks a lot for your comments and kind words. It's funny how a furry little creature captures our hearts, and we just do whatever we can to protect and make them well.[/img]

10. Lovemykitties!

I know what you mean about them capturing your heart. When Aries got sick, I was just so upset about it all day. We hate to see anything in pain, especially a member of our own family!

I am so happy Roxie is eating and drinking more (and behaving like her old standoff-ish self)! Hopefully her muscles will come back to full function. I have hope she will continue to make good progress under treatment, since she is so young.

Go Roxie, go! :eek:

11. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I know all about Addison's Disease my dog has had it for 3 years!!! Everything that you have said makes sense. Buster is on prednisone every morning and Buster can last 56 days between DOCP injections (hormones).

My cat Patches has kidney disease and every once in a while she will stop eating and gets really lethargic....... I syringe feed her often when she gets that way. I've learned how to give sub Q fluids often when she gets sick.

Your doing the right thing and Addison's is treatable and they do fine on meds. It is a disorder of the adrenal glands they either stop working or they don't work as well. My dogs adrenal glands stopped working all together. You will just have to monitor her more because they can't handle stress and they can't take care of the potassium in their systems but usually mimics kidney failure. with the stress you just give them more Prednisone and they do good. time of the day is important and I'll look but I give Buster his meds in the morning but I think... with cats since they are more active at night you give them then. I can check on that.

You can always PM me and we can chat.

good luck and keep us posted I am certainly glad that she is getting back to herself.......

NutriCal you can get it at like Petsmart, Petco any pet store.... I also give that to my cat Patches same with the felovite II or nutrimalt they are all supplements and vitamin's .

12. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

I came home last night from work, and was very surprised to have Roxi come up to me, meowing, and "nuzzling" against furniture, etc. She is walking better, and eating on her own. I gave her only 2 syringe feedings yesterday, even though she IS eating, I want to make sure that she is getting as much nutrition as she may or may not be getting in her food. She was even playing, yes, playing with her feather ball! She slept on the bed again last night, and this morning, she was acting her usual morning routine, trying to pull the covers off me, making me pick her up and carry her to the laundry room (she is very spoiled, she can go there herself, she just makes me do it every morning) and she will only sit on one shoulder. She went to that shoulder and started licking and biting my fingers (something she does as a form of affection) and purring like crazy! She ate almost 1/2 can of cat food (small iams can) and went pee in the kitty box. She still has not had a bm, but I think it is because she just had not had any real solid food. When I tried to give her her antibiotic and prednisone this morning, she fought, boy did she fight me, but I take that as a sign she is on the mend. She doesn't lay like she is dying anymore, although she still looks somewhat bony in her back area. she is walking better. My husband said that "she only has 8 lives left" What a fighter! Hopefully, she will continue to mend and get stronger each day. I am trying not to get blind to the fact that this may not be a total recovery, but I am very excited by her progress. :D

13. Lovemykitties!

:y_the_best: Good news! That is exciting progress! I am so happy to hear she is on the mend. If she continues like this, any lost weight will be gained back shortly. Thanks for keeping us posted! Make sure to send that Vet of yours a fruit basket or something haha! That was a good call on his behalf.

On a side note, that nibbling thing? My other cat, Squeekie, does that from time to time. It surprised me at first, but he does not do it hard. I think it is some kind of nursing reflex or something from kittenhood because he only does it when he is “kneading” his paws on me - all happy & purring.

14. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

We got Roxi from the local Humane Society after my 29year-old Princess passed away (not from natural causes either, just an unfortunate accident with the Dog) Anyway, I was heartbroken, Princess had been with me since I was a little girl, and I missed her so much. I couldn't go past her favorite spots without crying. I still can't even visit her in the backyard without crying. So my husband took me to the shelter, and we picked out my Roxi. She was about 5 months old, and just a scared little kitty. Didn't want to be held. Always hiding. Well, she is almost 3 (August 14), and she still does not like to be held, and is skittish, but the mornings, is when she is most like a lovable cat. She was like that this morning. I dont' think that she ever nursed, as she never has "kneeded" with her paws. She is scared at most sounds and does not like to be picked up at all. she growls and hisses and sometimes, batts her paws in your face (declawed) but since she has been sick, she has been more lovable. not to anyone else in the family., just me. her mama. And I love that! Will keep all posted. Thanks again so much for the replys and encouragement!

15. vene

vene New Member

Great to hear that Roxi is on the mend. :eek: I'm sorry to hear about your Princess. She was 29? Wow!

16. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I am glad to hear that she is doing better as I have mentioned in my PM. It is a very treatable disease and the treatment are lifelong but they do fine once the meds are regulated to meet their needs. the fact that she is acting more normal.
    kudos to you.

17. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

Roxi's update:
    Well, friends, Roxi is trying to be her usual self again. She is still very weak in her hind legs, although she is TRYING to jump. She is eating and drinking like normal, and even pushing the envelope by eating from the dog bowl. Last night when letting the dog to potty, a mouse ran into the house. (We live out in the country on a few acres) Well, let me tell you, you would have NEVER thought anything was wrong with my little kitty. She ran, yes, ran after that mouse and cornered it several times before we were finally able to shoo it out of the house in the laundry room. The dog got into the chasing action, but Rox held her ground, hissing at the dog, as this was HER mouse. I have 2 days left of her medicines, and then I'm really not sure what to expect. She is still very skinny (even at 10 pounds) and bony in her rear quarters, but much like her old self in almost all other aspects.

18. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Glad to hear that she is doing well. Poor mouse..... GO ROXI!!! Are they not going to put her on meds?? have they given a for sure diagnosis???

19. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

good girl Roxie
    Her hind legs might be weak from lack of use. Once she gets moving around more the muscles will get strong again.
    Oh the med note - PILL POCKETS. I cannot rave enough about these things.
    They are made by Greenies and I will always keep them in the house now.
    My little sealpoint - all 6 pounds of her goes into a frenzy when she needs to be pilled, and I dread it.
    Got some pill pockets and not a problem now at all!!!
    They have a free sample online at Greenies website you can order to try them out

20. roxi's mom

roxi's mom New Member

Those "Pill pockets" look really cool. Roxi doesn't really like any kind of treats, but I am willing to try anything to keep my baby healthy.

I have a call into the Dr. this morning because she is on her last day of Prednisone and Antibiotics, and I'm not really sure what to expect at this point. I have been looking at all the sites and reading info on Addisons and it seems that she should be on some type of medication although none has been suggested yet at this point.

Update: She was running around the house this morning, playing, and purring. she jumped on my son's bed, and even on the bathtub. (It took 2 times for her, but she did make it, dragging her hind legs)

Hopefully, her strength will come back. she looks so bony! (Her front half looks strong) Will update when I know more. :D