1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my 5 year old mix

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by silent_bunni, Mar 3, 2005.

1. silent_bunni

silent_bunni New Member

we have a almost 5 yr old mix daisy shes a smal breed but she is sooooooo energetic. we swear shes part kangaroo lol
    she has a run a few times a day & she is still very hyper we cant have her inthe house because the 4 yr old is afraid of her because she jumps on her . & we do tell her down & she will sit but shes so excited to be in we keep her in the back room when shes not outside because she loves to play in the snow.
    we take her on several walks a day what can we do to have her calm down a little even enough to come inside the house with out upsetting so much ses a really sweet dog but we miss her in the house because she is part of the family.

2. Jas

Jas New Member

I have one of those kangaroo dogs too. Mine will stand in front of you and bounce 5 feet off the air. It's pretty funny to watch. :)

To help alleviate some of that excess energy give more exercise!!! Honestly! While it seems to you your dog gets plenty of exercise some dogs just need more. If there is a breed like jack russell in the mix those dogs are feisty bundles energy!! ;-) Sometimes walks are not sufficient ways to burn off enough energy. Does she like to fetch - balls, Frisbee? Some dogs also need a job to do. A good run along side a bicycle or jogging with mom or dad can really help. Glad you want her in the house, most dogs prefer to be with their people as opposed to alone. She also sounds like she needs to learn some manners and that jumping on kids or anyone is NOT acceptable behaviour. Very important to teach both the dog and the child how to interact with one another and react around each other. Once your child is used to the dog enough hopefully the fear will subside. Have your child give the dog commands, reward and praise.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Another technique to add work to a walk is to put a doggy backpack on your dog and weight it down a bit with water filled bottles. The weight would depend on the size of your dog. This also provides some dogs with the sense of doing a job which helps with boredom issues.

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

My theory on the dog excercising thing: ok the more "fun" time playing fetch and things like that only create more energy, just like if a person starts going to the gym, the get more energy (overall, even though they at first seem more tired) You are just building up their tolerance! Take them on loooooonnnnnggggg sorta boring walks, nothing exciting, just walk and walk and walk. I know this seems llike totally crazy theory on it, but I really believe it. I think also it has something to do with while walking the dog needs to follow you, so it takes more brain power to concentrate on you. But I don't know??