1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my bird has brown stuff above her cere,is this bad?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Zeppy`s mom, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

The brown stuff is crusty and you can really tell that it is brown .Is this unhealthy? Is it normal? :0011: :0010: :?:

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sounds like your bird is a female and she is in breeding mode and this is normal. This usually ends up being the whole of the cere being the same colour.

In young, None breeding and male birds this is an indication of mites, Without a picture can not give the best advice but i will stick with breeding mode.

Mike

3. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI i have never seen anything like that, t looks like just different coloured feathers but for that colour mutation he wouldnt have those colours.

Its probably nothing but i would have him checked by an avian vet just to make sure. Maybe someone else might know what it is.

Mike

5. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I don`t think anythig is wrong with her ,I mean she acts just fine She eats, goes to the bathroom,she is VERY vocal and she is never at the bottom of her cage. :0011:

6. pollyanna

pollyanna New Member

Hi. I don't feel it is caused by mites. Me and my partner bred budgies for over 20 years, and the brown markings on your bird are not a sign of ill health. If you can rule out a few causes: staining from softfood/fruit, rubbing against cage bars, etc, I would say it is a staining of the feather shafts. The cases of it I remember in our budgies cleared up itself. I don't feel it is a cause for worry if the bird is acting normally.

7. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I think it is a stain from a pink cuttlebone.When she started using it after a while her feathers started to turn pink.They are not any more though. :mrgreen: :y_the_best: Thanks!