1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Birds Beak is Bleeding cause I clipped it to much!!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by jacquez93, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jacquez93

jacquez93 New Member

Hi I accidentely clipped my budgies beak to close to its nose, it bleeded for awhile, but now it stopped and the isn't on the ground, he's just resting on the perch now, he doesn't look like hes going to die, but he doesn't look good, do you think he is going to die? And I can't afford a vet, sorry! :cry:

Sincerely,
    Jacquez Moon,
    A Birder for Life

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi beak clipping should only be done by an avian vet or someone thats is experienced in doing this.

Can he still eat and drink if not then you will have to take him to see an avian vet or if there is any bird breeders in your area that you could as to call round to have a look for you.

Aslong as he is eating and drinking well then there should not be any problems but when the beak is clipped wrong this usually causes problems.

Why did you need to clip his beak as they usually keep it short themselves by eating cuttlefish bone and mineral blocks..

Mike

3. jacquez93

jacquez93 New Member

Thanx for the Tips

Hi,
    I only clipped his beak because he rarely uses the cuttle bone, and he always pecks at the other female as fighting but I always break it up.
    And yes he can eat and drink and do all that and more even still preen, and the blood is all gone, so how long should it take for his beak to grow back?

Sincerely,
    Jacquez Moon

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

His beak will have already started to grow back, It will take a couple of months to get back to the way it was.

Keep an eye on him and see how he goes.

It is normal for the male to peck at the female he is trying to get her attention as he will be wanting to breed and she is not ready he will also been seen trying to kick her this is also normal.

If you are not wanting them to breed then i suggest seperating both birds as even though there is no nest she may still lay eggs on the cage floor

Mike

5. Chezza

Chezza New Member

This is very good advice, you are lucky he didnt die of shock, trauma and blood loss.. It doesnt take much for these little birds...
    Also seperating is a very good idea too, it cant be much fun for the female to be bashed up all the time.
    :|

6. pollyanna

pollyanna New Member

Very good advice! Do not attempt trimming a beak unless you have the experience to do so. The beak has a main vein running through to near the tip, and you have accidentally clipped this. A beak should not need trimming as it is naturally worn down by grit, cuttle, gnawing, etc. If your bird does not use cuttle, put a piece of wood in the cage for him to gnaw. (Clean of course!) The same with trimming claws applies here, you could cut a vein so have it done professionally.