1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Budgie Doesnt want to leave its cage HELP!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by CaramelHeart, Apr 19, 2005.

1. CaramelHeart

CaramelHeart New Member

The Door has been open for more than 1 hour and he still hasnt left his cage... I am a VERY new bird owner, I have no clue if is a girl or boy, I have no clue how old it is. Well The Owner Got Sick and left is starving and my mom asked to have him/her. So she said yes. Well Now he nips at us we are trying to teach it to talk too. Its Hard!! I seriously Need Help With this! For Some Reason He Loves His Cage. We have had him for over a month and this is the first time we have tried to let him out. The Previous owner didnt even know how to take care of a bird.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi firstly a bird will only come out of its cage when it feels safe, You may need to start hand training to help this process along this takes time and alot of patience.

Young birds have barring on the head which they lose when they go through there first molt, Adult birds will have there adult coloured cere they go through there first molt anywhere from 4months old to 12months old. I am guessing he/she will be well over 1year old.

To tell the sex of a budgie you look at the cere ( fleshy part above the beak ) males usually have a bright blue cere some depending on there colour have a pinkish purple coloured cere. Females have either white, tan or if in breeding mode will have a very dark crusty brown coloured cere.

Teaching a budgie to talk is very hard and it is usually only the males that ever do.
    This takes time and patience and do not worry if they never speak as some never do.

Here is some links on hand taming budgies...

http://www.birdshelpline.bravehost.com/Training.html

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/bird_hand.html

Mike