1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my budies

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by BirdDude, Jun 7, 2004.

1. BirdDude

BirdDude New Member

im so happy my female(Kiwi) budgie's cere is turning dark brown, she going to be in breeding mode soon.

but im wondering why does she always try and run awya from the male(skyblue), like when ever Skyblue goes near her she will go to a different perch, why?

dionel

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

She will run away from him till she is ready to mate.
    Males are very pushy and will try there hardest to get the female to mate but she will not allow this till she is ready

mike

3. BirdDude

BirdDude New Member

hey mike yesterday my female budgie finaly had enough courage to go on to the nest box perch, she was puting her head inside and looking around but didn't go in. i was wondering when will she go inside and stay there for a longer time?and she never goes on the nest box perch anymore, why?

dionel

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

The birds need to be atleast 12months old before allowing them to mate.
    If this is the case then she will go in the nest when she wants to it takes time and most females wont go in till they are due to lay eggs and thats when you will find she spends most of the time in the nest and spends the night in the nest.

If they are under 12months old take away the nest box as mating young birds can lead to complications.

Egg binding ( egg stuck in oviduct) is very serious and can be lethal if not treated straight away.
    This is a risk in older birds and the risk is higher in young birds.

mike

5. BirdDude

BirdDude New Member

so if shes not 12months and up she wont go in?

dionel

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI a 6month old bird will mate and lay eggs but this is not wise to allow it as the risk of egg binding ( egg stuck in oviduct) is alot higher for a young bird.

If you contact a local bird breeder he or she will tell you best age is 12months and older.
    Never let any bird lay more than 2 clutches without having a break of about 3-4 months so that she can recover and rebuild her reserves.

So please if she is younger than 12 months old take away her nest box

mike

7. BirdDude

BirdDude New Member

how come she never goes on the nest box perch nomore???

dionel

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Good luck breeding your budgies! Post the pictures of the baby budgies if possible!

Thanks!

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hiya young birds will investigate anything new put in or attched to there cage.
    Your female will start using the nest box only when she is ready and should not be force you can try putting her in but allow her to come back out if she dont like it and then all you can do is just wait and see what happens.

Breeding any animal is hit or miss some birds will mate others just wont and never lay eggs so patience and a watchful eye is all that is needed.

Most birds prefer to mate during the night or when there is no-one around to disturb them so when its the most quiet you will probably see them or hear them mating.

mike

10. Nameless

Nameless New Member

lol I have seen mine do it in the broad day light!