1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my cat has been throwing up every morning........

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by HDrydr, Feb 21, 2008.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Hi everyone I'm new to the board but need advice before a trip to the vet again. My 11 year female "Patches" (yes because she is a calico..) she frequently throws up no biggie usually eats or drinks too much or a hairball. But she just had her 3yr rabbies shot on Friday and since then she throws up every morning starting around 4 am. I thought she was eating too much but it seems like it is 3/4 digested food and bile. Any suggestions? otherwise she is a healthy girl got a clean bill of health at the vet on friday...... she eats, drinks and sleeps normally.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

try 1/4 of a tablet of Pepcid AC.....not the chewable tablets that look like Tums but the little white pills (I buy the cheaper WalMart brand).
    Only a 1/4 tablet will do the trick. But the Pepcid AC only (gotta stress that).
    dogs and cats can use that to help an upset tummy. I have one cat that enjoys puking and when I give her the Pepcid she won't puke for days (she's healthy just eats too much and then leaves it behind).

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

thank you I will try that I did that with my Boxer/lab and it did work for him. wonder.... I guess I should give it to her at night since she pukes in the early morning.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi and welcome to Auspet. It's been about five days since the rabies vaccine, so her vomiting might be due to something else. Usually after about three days they are fine. If she's just eating too fast perhaps try putting out less food in one sitting. If she is gobbling down dry food put a golf ball in her dish. This makes it harder for her to eat quickly. You mentioned you have a dog. Perhaps she feels she needs to eat quickly before the dog gets to her food? If so you could put her food in the bathroom or a high place where the dog can't get to her and her food?

If her vomiting is also due to hair balls now and again you may want to brush her daily. Zoom Groom brushes for cats are wonderful. They cost under $10 USA dollars. :D

5. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

It happens long after she eats because it is almost all digested. I have 2 cats and they free eat and that has not been an issue. The dog and her feeling threatened, well I have their litter box and food in a shower stall and the door is blocked so that only the cats can get in and Buster can't. She does have the occasional hairball like once a few weeks. But this is not the case the past few days. I've had cats my whole life and this is different.

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Just an update. Unless last night was just a fluke Patches did not wake us up to puking in the early morning. I took your advice Mary_NH I had forgotten that I had done that for my dog. I gave her 1/4 tab before we went to bed and to our wonderful surprise no gross clean up this am.... I will continue to do this for a bit, so hopefully this will resolve her upset tummy during the early mornings. I will keep you updated. thanks everyone

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'm going to blame you :mrgreen: I heard that all too familar hurka hurka at 4:30 this morning ON MY BED!!!
    I was able to get Missy off before she upchucked a HUGE hairball.
    LOL all this talk of puking.
    I gotta get some hairball remedy, which she doesn't like. The treats she'll eat sometimes.
    I've been adding light olive oil to their food to help move the hairballs along but apparently Missy isn't getting it

8. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Sorry to hear that Mary_NH!! :lol: Gotta love that noise..... it wakes anyone up from a sound sleep. Even more so when you realize that it is happening on your bed!! I put oil on their food and that does help with the hairballs and their skin.
    Maybe all of you can help me with my next "problem child" I'll post a new thread.

9. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Update time: Well the Pepcid works!! Patches has not puked since I started giving her 1/4 pill right before we go to bed. It has been wonderful!! Now if we can get the Harley situation under control we may be able to sleep in peace again.....