1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My cat is ill, Vet doesn't seem to know what to do.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Kenimet, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

I have a cat, 8 years old. I raised her from a pup, well, at least since she was 8 ounces. She had a broken leg, crushed rib cage and broken back when I found her and started nursing her back to health. Now she has stopped eating and drinking, loosing weight, and muscle mass. She has been to the Vet and rehydrated twice in the last two weeks, but still refuses to eat unless force fed. She hides and sleeps all day, doesn't come out and play and interact at all unless made to do so. She grinds her teeth, licks her lips, but has done this since she was about a year old. Has a Vet visit tomorrow at 10:00 am. She is my "baby". She always wakes me up when my glucose levels get low in the middle of the night. She will play hide and seek and play fetch with a toy mouse. I am worried sick about her and I'm just not ready to have her put to sleep. I am sick about this. Can anyone help with suggestions of what to try to return her to good health?[/b]

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

stomachititis perhaps....let us know what the vet says

3. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

Thanks for your reply

My Vet did lots of tests and x-rays. My cat has a collapsed left lung and a badly infected right lung. She is now on two antibotics. She still refuses to eat or drink unless force fed, which I am doing. I really love this little cat and it pains me so much to see her so weak and sick. Everyone who will, please pray for her recovery.

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

wow what would have caused that?
    positive thoughts being sent. Please let us know how she progresses

5. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

My Cat Has Had a Feline Stroke

Hi All and thanks for your support.

My Sassy has had a stroke. She has lost her sense of smell and that was why she was not eating. She was not breathing deeply and that caused her lung infection. She is still alive, but not well. Aording to the Vet if we can keep her eating, by force or otherwise, and some liquids she may return to normal or almost normal. Vet said it would take a few weeks to a couple of months. I will keep taking her to the Vet every week and as needed otherwise so she can be checked and receive vitiman shots and suppliments. I am feeding her Ensure via eye dropper and some Fancy Feast as tolerated.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do for her?

Thanks again, Kenimet

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I am so sorry about Sassy.
    I know this is going to sound horrible but please do not take it the wrong way.

I know you love her and will do anything to try and help, But if she has had a stroke, has a collapsed lung and infected lung, Having to be force fed, Then wouldn't the nicest kindest and most loving thing to do is have her put to sleep..

I personally would as to me i would not want one of my fur babys to suffer like this, I love my animals too much to see them struggle and try and fight for weeks or months only for them not to recover.

We all love our pets but to truly love them is to let them go when its really for the best..

Sorryif that sounds harsh or nasty in anyway that was not my intention.

Mike

7. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

Charmedagain, I know where you are coming from

Hello,

I will give you a bit of history. Sassy came to me through my Daughter at the age of about 2 weeks. She found her outside her appartment and took her to the Vet. The Vet told her he could put het to sleep, or she could take her home and wait on her to die due to her injuries, a broken leg, broken back a rib broken and sticking out of her side and infected.

I had just retired and was working part time as police chief and had just finished my paramedic training. I had the time to invest in her survival and health. I rice bagged her so she could heal her back, splinted her leg and treated her wound and infection. After six weeks I took her back to the Vet and he could not believe she was alive, much less walking and healthy.

The Vet has determined that the collapsed lung was from earlier in her life and her right lung is no longer infected and is healthy. Yes, I am still feeding her Ensure with a dropper, but slowly she is beginning to eat and drink small amounts of dry and wet food on her own and is becoming more active. According to the Vet ( same one who treated her as a kitten ) seems to think that she will recover, and I will give her that chance before putting her to sleep.

This little cat came to me at a time of my life when I had became very self destructive and seeing her will to live gave me a will to live also, So we have a lot of history together.

Thanks for your interest and input. I will definately do what is right when and if she is no longer making progress.

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Awww the poor little thing has been trough the wars.
    I must admit its actually nice seeing there is still some nice caring people in the world as most people would have just left the kitten where it was.

I applaude you for your dedication and i really do hope she makes a full recovery and has many more years with you..

I hope i never offended you in my last post as that was not my intention..

Please keep us updated on her progress..

Mike

9. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

Sassy and her illness

Hello,

I was not offended at all. I have thought about it a lot and have her favorite place in the back yard reserved for her gravesite, her favorite toys and one of my shirts that she claims ready when the time comes.

Thanks for your kind words, Kenimet

10. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

years ago I had a dog who had a stroke. We rushed her to the vet and he gave her a vitamin B12 shot to reduce the swelling around her brain and gave her 3 to 5 days to pull through. He said if we didn't see any change by day 3 that chances were good she wouldn't change any (she couldn't stand up without support nor hold her head up long). Day 4 no change....day 5 she got up and although was unsteady her head was held up high and she didn't fall over.
    And she lived 3 more years....I say give your precious kitty a fighting chance but she'll let you know when she's done fighting. You know her well enough to "hear" when she is sending you the message that she is done trying.
    Good luck with her - she sounds like a very strong sweet cat

11. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

Sassy is out of pain and stress

Hi everyone, Last evening I came in and Sassy was acting fine, bright eyed, tail up and playful. She had a B vitamin sht 2 days before. About an hour later she just froze and started shaking, she had had another stroke and she began having siezures about every 1/2 hour.

I sat up all night and held her, petted her and talked to her constantally, I felt the time was near and I wanted her to know how much she would be missed and how much I love her. She passed at 9:01 this AM, jyst before I was going to take her to the Vet to have her put down.

She is burried in her favorite place in my back yard garden wrapped in one of my shirts she had claimed and was a resting place for her head for many years. Her favorite toys were by her side. Right now I can't stop crying, which is a strange thing for this 62 year old cat owner, but she was the joy of my life and will forever be missed.

Thank all of you who prayed and offered ideas about her illness.

Kenimet

12. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I am so sorry to hear your sad news.
    She will know how much she was loved an cared for, Just remember they never really leave us, They are with us in eveything we do watching over us.

Here is the poem Rainbow Bridge

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Mike

13. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

Rainbow bridge and Sassy

Hi All,

I have heard the story of the rainbow bridge before. I truly believe that animals have a soul and will be waiting for their souls to be joined with the souls of their human loved ones after death.

As long as I and my family lives Sassy will never die due to the wonderful memories she provided for us. Her playing hide and seek with me and my wife and daufhter and fetch with a toy mouse is priceless. Memories of her trying to answer the telephone and my walkie talkie are the best. There are peeps in those little boxes ya know.

She was my constant compainion and her antics and presence will be missed.

Kenimet