1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My cat poops on floor. WHY?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by adh1383, Oct 7, 2005.

1. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

My cat is a year old, and when I first got her(she was then six weeks old) she would go to the bathroom on the floor. With patients and love she soon started to use the litter-box.
    Ginger just had a litter of kittens and when they were about four weeks old she started to use the bathroom floor to dispense her poop. I cannot see taking her to the vet when she was just there less then a month and a half ago. She's not sick, I would know because I have a soft spot for animals and I have 8 cats, 1 dog a bird and a fish. All misfits that people threw out!!!
    My question is: what is she doing, and why? If anyone can help I am here!

2. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

There could be any number of reasons for this. Have you recently switched litter brand? Have you recently moved her box? Are the kittens using the box (Some cats are extremely particular and want a box of their own)? Also, if her food dish is near her box, she will turn her nose up at the location of the box.

Just some wild guesses here

3. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

Thank you for reply

Yes I did move the litter-box to the bathroom when she had her kittens. The vet recommenned moving her to an isolate place away from the rest of the family(the other animals) because she might get stressed. Should I move the litter-box back to where it was before she gave birth?
    I also wanted to thank you for the nice reply, cause I had joined this site that is kinda like this one and people were mean to me and every question I had they replyed, take your animal to the vet and basically if your poor you should not have animals! I take them to the vet when needed but I am not taking them to the vet when they poop on the floor and is otherwise healthy, ya know? So thank you so much because I love these animals more than the world itself! Sorry for rambling it's just nice to know that there are people out there who care too...

4. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Welcome to Auspet :) But I have to admit that if I thought it were a medical problem, I would have suggested you take her to the vet. But I really think it's because you moved her box. Put it back were it was originally and clean and disinfect the area she was pooping on the floor so that she won't scent her own oder there and see how that goes.

Cats can be extremely particular about their box location and can be bratty if you upset their routine. That in itself can cause undue stress.

But I want to add that this is just my opinion and I'm by no way an expert ;) And heck, it's worth a try, eh?

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

5. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I also want to add that if you have a question about your cats behavior suddenly changing like this, you can phone your vet's office and ask. They shouldn't charge you for asking simple questions for a pet that is a patient of theirs.

6. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

Thanks a whole bunch!

I will let you know how it goes. Oh, the reason I didn't call the vet about this is because I didn't want to sound stupid and well like a worry wart. But no my vet doesn't charge unless I wake him up in the middle af the night. But who wouldn't right?

7. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

My cat Hunter used to (knock on wood) poop on the floor.
    What I kinda thought it was, was that he didn't like using a dirty litter box...which means we have two boxes that we clean one to two times per day whether they need it or not or if they really really need it!!!!

8. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Hi and welcome! :m22:

I battle my male cat peeing on the floor. But I have read lots and lots on litter box adversion. Usually there is a reason...whether we think it's legit or not. I agree with Cassie that it's because you moved the box. Or maybe you don't have enough boxes. It's supossed to be the number of cats plus one extra. And I just recently learned they should be spread out in locations. My only other thought is if the box wasn't clean enough. My male will turn his nose up with only ONE clump in the box!! Good luck!

9. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

My cats are very spoiled!

You will all be happy to hear that Ginger is pooping in the litter-box again. I moved it back to where it was and she seems pretty happy about it :) . On anther note I also have two litter-boxes and I keep them both well cleaned. After thinking about it she started to use the bathroom floor because she didn't like where I moved it. I also disinfected the places where she had been going recently. No worry on that part because Iam very O.C.D. Thanks everyone for the support and advice, it worked :eek: . I'll keep in touch. Also tell me about your pets and stuff.

10. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

That's great news adh1383. I can understand your vet's recommendation of isolating her kitties since there are so many other animals in the house. But I think he/she ment isolating the babies to a place where momma could get to them (and the other animals can't) and yet maintain her normal routine. I know they're not always clear on instructions.

I know from childhood experiences, if the mommy cat thinks her babies are in danger from other animals, they will literally ingest (eat) them in order to keep the danger from them. I don't understand the psyche about it but it's some form of instinct. If the mommy is stressed out and thinks her babies are in danger, you don't know what she'll do.

But if she knows that her babies are safe, she'll be fine so long as you do all you can to help maintain her normal routine.

We'd all love to see pics of your babies if you have some to post!

Keep up the good work!

But please keep in mind that if you don't disrupt their routine and they suddenly start going poo or pee outside their box when all is normal, it probably is a medical problem which is why those people on that other board were b!tching at you about taking her to a vet. Once you told me that you had moved her box, I figured that was all it was. Or at least a good place to start.

11. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

OH geeze, I don't want to frighten you about the mother cat ingesting her babies...Now that her babies are weeks past new-born, she won't do that. They just get over protective to that extent with newborns within the first week or so. LOL I need to think before posting. Or is it 'I need to not drink' before posting? :lol:

12. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

How's it goin everyone?

No the vets instructions were very clear. I put Ginger and her babies in the bathroom she had all acsess to them, but after they turned six weeks I moved them and the litter-box. I didn't stop to realize that that would upset her and that she liked the litter-box in the bathroom. It is also not the only litter-box in the house but she is very clean. She likes to pee in one and poop in the other. since I have moved it back she has been very happy and uses it, and not the floor! And then I also bought another one for the babies to use, So now I have three litter boxes. The babies just went to the vet and had their shots and their all doing great. Healthy little rascles, let me tell you. And Ginger is getting spayed in the next couple of weeks. I know I should have done it sooner but people have this big problem with throwing out their animals like it's last weeks garbage. I love animals and I just can't lae that happen. So one to a time I get them fixed. I do the best that I can. And you know what it's better than letting them die! Right? But you didn't know the whole story so it's all good :) . See ya.

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i just wanted to add this...

good rule to go by re: litter box cleaning....

as humans, when we use the toilet, we flush every time. if we didnt....after a while, with one person, or multiple people using the toilet, it would start to get pretty raunchy.... [-X :-&

why should it be any different for cats...remember....their sense of smell is ten times what ours is...imagine what its like for them if one little poop is in there, much less two days worth.

i try to scoop three, sometimes four times a day. its doesnt take more than a few seconds...

:wink:

14. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

Thank you everyone for the help but........

I just wanted everyone to know that my cat Ginger is longer pooping on the floor. And that as I mentioned before I am very O.C.D so about the litter boxes being nasty, that is NEVER the case! I can't stand my house smelling which is why I joined this site to find out exactly why she started to do it. When I realizied that it was as simple as putting the litter box back where it belonged, would solve the problem. It hasn't happened again. I would like to thank everyone for their responses the info was really helpful, but I just wanted to make sure that you all knew that I was not a dirty person.

15. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I don't think anyone thought you were a dirty person at all. It's just that some cats are really picky about using a used box. Luckily, I can go two days before scooping Boogers box but some cat's are really picky and won't go in a used box twice in a row. It really depends on the cat.

I think that's what people were advising as to the litter cleaning thing.

I'm so glad that moving her box back to it's original place worked for you.

16. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you were nasty! I just know if the box has ONE clump in it, Copper turns his nose up at it. The box is plenty big enough that he could still use it and not touch the clump, but he won't.

I'm glad to hear that your problem is solved. Just wish mine was... :(

17. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

Cats are really wounderful!

I am sorry for my last reply. I just get a little defensive when it comes to my babies. I always wanted to be a vet, you know help not only the animals but the people who own them. Like pets insurance, so it would mean that, anyone rich or poor could get their pet the right kind of treatment without having to worry about being able to afford it. I hate hearing about how an animal died because their owner couldn't afford the vet bill. I also wanted to build a shelter like the S.P.C.A because even if people could afford the vet bill that doesn't mean that there won't be people throwing them out! I am 22 and I love animals. In a way I have already started an animal shelter. I take in the sick and the unwanted. It's a start! I can't wait untill I get it up and going. That is a dream I have always had and I will never give up on it!

Again I want to apoligize for the rampaid I went on about being all clean and stuff, but usually when I tell people how many animals I have the automatic assumption is you smell! I guess it's weird to get a different response. Advice instead of insults. Thank you....

18. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I know what you mean about people assuming that if you have several animals your house is nasty. I clean CONSTANTLY and assume that the cats walk on the counter (even though I've never seen them) and clorox it daily. I even had a dude at work recently say that he's sure I know about flea problems since I have 4 critters! And he's infested, covered in sores and doesn't even have pets!! So no offense here. I feel ya. :y_the_best:

19. adh1383

adh1383 New Member

Animals are not the stinky creatures people are!

Besides the few times an animal gets sick and accidentally messes somewhere. They don't smell.People do! See outdoors where these creatures live they are clean they have to be. They burry their poop to keep from something picking up his trail. So by nature all animals are clean. People think that an animal can understand the difference between the outdoors and indoors? It takes patience their like children, you have to clean up for them then eventually they will take over and do it for themselves. That is why I get upset when someone thinks I smell because of the animals I have. When the mess never gets clean thats why they stink. I know these people that have only 2 cats but everywhere you go in their house it stinks like cat urine. ( nothing smells worse ) They don't clean it up so they will blame it on thier pets. I have learned that if you clean and keep things clean your pets will follow your example.

20. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I'm not so sure about that last part lol. Copper still hasn't learned from my example. :roll: