1. Welcome to Auspet.com. Please login or register to post or reply to other messages. Registration is free.
    Dismiss Notice

my cat won't eat and keeps vomiting

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by puddysowner, Apr 10, 2004.



  1. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    My 15 year old cat went to the vet 3 days ago to have a check up on why he was eating normally, but was losing weight. We had him tested for a hyperthyroid and diabetes, but he had neither. The day after he came back form the vet he has spent all his time in the basement and does not come up to eat. He has not eaten in 3 days. When we try to give him food he smells it and runs back to the basement and vomit. Does anyone have any suggestions for me before i can get him to the vet?
     
  2. mazyku

    mazyku New Member

    Please be persistent and take him to the vet. We have been going through our cat not eating for about a month. She had an infection and we are now force feeding her to try and get her weight back up. Of course, our case is a bit different but she would eat then stop for at least a week. We were trying everything. DO NOT GIVE HIM IAM'S TUNA. Ours had a bone in it and it scratched our kittys throat and set us back on the feeding. We give her kitten milk with a syringe and Boost. Alternating with the two. We also put cod liver oil in it. Try also pedialite water drink. Our kitty dehydrated really fast and we had to have intervenous given to her. Take care of it early and get him back to the vet. Good luck. Keep us posted.
     
  3. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    thanks so much for the response. My cat is on 2 pills to get rid of any infection and he still does not have a desire to eat and vomits when he smells his food. I can't find out what is wrong with him. I though it might be poisoning or a parasite, but i don't think he could have gotten into anything poisonous. I will wait until overnight and if he doesn't eat in the morning i'll get him to the vet. Thanks again for the tips!
     
  4. footsie

    footsie New Member

    Did you start the pills before or after the vomiting started. He could be having a reaction to the medicine. I think you should at least call the vet in the moring and ask for advice. If he's puking the meds, then they're not working.

    Please, try to get some water into him.
     
  5. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    he started vomiting before we put him on the medicine. He luckily does drink water, but thats all he drinks or eats. He stands around his food like he wants to eat but he can't bring him self to eat any.
     
  6. Chessmind

    Chessmind New Member

    Hi. Agree with everyone else. Please take your kitty to the vet. Obviously the pills your vet gave you are not helping and like Footsie mentioned if he's vomiting, the pills will not be effective. At the very least call your vet and let them know what is going on. I hope your kitty gets better soon. Please keep us posted.
     
  7. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    hello everybody. My cat has stopped vomiting and is eating a little and is not as weak. Thanks everyone for your concern! :D
     
  8. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    Today I took my cat to the vet and they did an ultrasound on him and it turns out that he has a cancerous tumor in his belly. He's so sick and he might be in pain. We'll probably end up putting him to sleep because he still wont eat and is not drinking. Thanks for everyones concern.
     
  9. vene

    vene New Member

    I'm so sorry! :cry:
     
  10. dolly

    dolly New Member

    I'm so sorry about your kitty, there are a lot of people here who have gone through a similar experience and understand what you're going through. :cry:
     
  11. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    thanks everyone. its really hard to see him in pain
     
  12. nern

    nern New Member

    Im really sorry to hear this. :cry:
     
  13. mazyku

    mazyku New Member

    Oh, my God! We just found out that our 4 year old cat has the same thing. All your things that you wrote sound the same. Our Missy was eating very well for about a week now she is back to eating nothing. She has lost so much weight. My heart breaks to she her so thin. We are waiting for the vet to call because he did a biospy to see if it was cancerous or not. I can't believe that she has this. I truly feel for you and your kitty. I know what you are going through. It makes me sick to think of my world with out my kitty. My Missy has not been acting as though she is in pain but recently she has started throwing up the solid food. SHe is still drinking water and we have been force feeding her Boost and giving her vitamins to try and get some weight on her just in case it is non cancerous and they could do surgery. Keep us posted on your kitty. You are both in my prayers.
     
  14. nern

    nern New Member

    I'm sorry about your kitty too Mazyku. I'll be sure and keep her in my thoughts.
     
  15. Chessmind

    Chessmind New Member

    I am so sorry to hear this. :( That is so sad. I know how you're feeling right now. I've been there too. I just want to add that in serious life or death cases like this a second opinion is always best for both you and your cat.

    Mazyku: I am sorry about your kitty as well. :(
     
  16. puddysowner

    puddysowner New Member

    thanks for all your concerns. My cat's attitude is much better and not as weak after the vet put some fluids in him. He still doesn't eat and barely drinks. We really want to put him on therapy for the cancer, but he is 16 and the vet told us that the chances of it working for his age is less then likely.
     

Share This Page