1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My dog ate watermelon

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by jay, May 17, 2007.

1. jay

jay New Member

I came home from the store tonight and was getting the groceries out of the car. I put a watermelon on the floor and then the neighbor caught me while I was outside. Anyway Mick decided to eat the watermelon. Will this hurt him? He ate almost half of it. Thanks

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I can't find any info that watermellons are bad, on the contrary I found lots of stories about dogs enjoying watermellons. MFor some fruits the fruit is OK but the pits are not. Here is a list of the things you really need to watch out for:
    Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog.
    Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
    Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
    Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes
    Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER. However- always use Salt/Sugar free ORGANIC Peanut butter (sugar encourages cancer growth) free . Use only ORGANIC peanut butter as regular peanut butter has lots of toxins and is full of pesticides!
    Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.
    Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and damage a dog’s internal organs. Raw Bone should always be supervised as a piece can always break off and cause problems. Try frozen oxtails or frozen knuckle bones then take the bone away before the dog can swallow a final small piece whole. It's a good natural way to clean teeth too.
    Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
    Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart.
    Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
    Apples, Cherries, Peaches PITS and similar fruit are great for your dog - HOWEVER, the seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them. It can also become lodged in the intestines and kill the dog in 24 hours with no warning.
    Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. BEST to use ORGANIC EGGS if you do raw. Scrambled lightly is best!
    Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.

Mushrooms: Can be deadly- never let your pets chew on mushrooms found in your yard. Only safe "food" mushrooms are shitaki, maitake and reishi.

Xylitol: even a small amount can cause liver failure and death. Read more at MSNBC news click here.

Sugar and Corn Syrups. EVEN ORGANIC IS BAD! (this does not include Honey or Molasses though they should only be in small amounts and never for cancer dogs

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Pretty sure Watermellon is ok. Mine LOVE it. My horses and cows do too. I think the worst that can happen is they might get the "runs". I buy seedless, so the only thing I'd worry about is blockage if he ate too many seeds.

4. jay

jay New Member

It was a classic Mick look when we caught him. My pregnant wife who had been wanting that melon so bad, only to yell 5 minutes later, "what is Mick doing, I hear him in the kitchen". His dripping wet face was hilarious.