1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My dogs are trying to kill me. Ok...maybe not Kill but..

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Dec 15, 2005.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

At least give me a heart attack. Perhaps a fatal one. Well...again...and I stress AGAIN....again for the 8th or so time...they have destroyed another dog bed. I just bought this one on Friday. Chewproof my @$#. I had felt bad for them b/c I only had one bed and they were sort of trying to share it so I sprung for a new $80 bed. Shredded. Woke up this morning to find a dog looking at me....in a sea of stuffing. I'm going to try to send it back. I don't think this one was made as well as the last one (seemed like a different material).

I know I've asked this before...but...Any suggestions? They need a bed but I can't afford to buy them a new one every week.

Hmmm...just had a thought about those beds Honeybear posted a while back. I may look into those. They are awfully expensive but if they come with a warranty.......

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

are they making a statement LOL
    they are letting you know which bed(s) meet their approval

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

"Hmmm...just had a thought about those beds Honeybear posted a while back. I may look into those. They are awfully expensive but if they come with a warranty......."

i WOULD LOOK INTO THOSE SINCE THEY DO COME WITH A WARRANTY, they may work out cheaper in the long run if they last.

How about getting old twin mattress? They can both sleep on it and you could probbly find someone wanting o give one away?

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

But they would eat that, too...

Nala eats her bed during the day. At night in her crate, she does not. I am very thankful for that. But I can't send her with a bed when I board her because she will snack on it all day long, and I can't leave a bed out for her in the family room. It's unfortunate, because Bonnie would like to have a bed during the day, but Nala would kindly eat it for her. Oh, and if I leave the bedroom and Nala feels like I should have let her out of her crate, she will start eating the bed then, too. :roll:

5. NitaPepsi

NitaPepsi New Member

I gave up buying beds. Every bed, gets chewed up too. Finally found what works. We have 2 large breed dogs. I bought 2 twin size heavy fleece blankets for $18.00 each. One dog likes to sleep in the crate and the other one likes to sleep in a small plastic kiddy pool. I just put 1 blanket in each and so far, only minmal shredding of the blankets. My one dog chews anything with zippers and seams so the thick blanket with no seams has worked great.
    Lisa

6. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I've thought about a mattress but I'm pretty sure they would just chew it up and I worry about the springs inside. They have had 2 futons. futons make really great dog beds, esp for big dogs - just fyi if you have a non-chewer. But he shredded both in minutes. MINUTES.

I was thinking earlier about getting one of those kiddie pools and filling it with shavings or something - a blanket would be an idea. They did have some comforters that they shredded but if I can find a blanket made properly (without some sort of inside stuffing) then that might work.

Indy is almost 2 1/2. I know it was him. I thought he had somewhat grown out of the shredding phase. My mistake..it was just that I had temporarily quit giving him stuff to shred.

It is just the most pathetic thing to see them on their one bed. Not sure why they haven't ripped it up yet. Yet. It's a little small for one of them, but they both curl up on it. Like they could be on a poster for abused animals or something. Look at poor me...my owner won't even give me a decent place to sleep...

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I agree trying a fleece blanket or something with fleece. I cant see them chewing somehting fleece. Wylie is funny, you give her a stuffed animal and she is determined to find awasy to the filling like a nervouse habit. I have the throw blanket she loves, kind of like fleece materal. she doesnt shed it but mouths it all of the time, kind of like a baby sucking its thumb, she has had that blanket for 7 years now she stle it from Midas when we got her. wierd that cat loved that thing, he and Wylie would steal it from each other. come to think of it that blanket is like 11 years old.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My dogs chew on fleece blankets, but so far they are still servicable. I have a different kind of blanket in the foster crate, and if you hold it up it looks like Swiss cheese. What else can I do, though?? I have also used large, cheap towels. At least they are better than nothing!

Oh, and last time the fabric store had a sale, I bought a bunch of foam padding. It was really cheap and I plan to sew large towels together to make a "cover" for the pad. Much cheaper than a purchased dog bed. :)

9. Maraya

Maraya New Member

here...this may help. the guy is excellent. also look into a gentle leader leash.....it has an instant calming affect on doggies. anyway, for all training and behavioral issues...

www.unclematty.com

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

The Gentle Leader is not a cure-all. It is a nice tool for SOME dogs to stop pulling on leash. It is a transition tool, meant to be used as an aid while you are training your dog. You should be able to stop using it once your dog has learned to stop pulling.

The "calming effect" it has on some dogs is actually depression. Whole Dog Journal has a good article about this. They used to be very positive about the Gentle Leader, but they have come to revise their opinion. With SOME dogs, the dog is obviously depressed and upset when the Gentle Leader is on. This may cause them to behave better and more calmly, but it is not a desirable state for your dog! For these types of dogs, a special harness that prevents pulling (like the Gentle Leader harness, for instance) is a better choice. Again, it is meant to be used as an AID while you are training your dog.

None of this has anything to do with chewing up beds, of course.

11. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

That is an interesting article about the Gentle leader.
    I used to subscribe but my subscription ran out.
    What article was that in?
    I would like to try to get my hands on a copy of it.
    Sue

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Not sure. I'm thinking it may have been an editorial or a sidebar. I will look through my old issues and find out for you, but they are at home.

Writing myself a sticky note...