1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My first tank in 5 years!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by HunterPrincess, Aug 7, 2004.

1. HunterPrincess

HunterPrincess New Member

Just thought everyone should know that I went out and bought my first fish tank in probably 5 years last night. It's a 15 gallon Marineland Show combo thingy with the hood that has the light and filtration in it. I'm thinking it will be set up in our den where we watch t.v. most of the time... When it gets set up should I let it cycle for a week or two weeks? Any help would be very welcomed. :D

thanks,

HP

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I would cycle for AT LEAST 2 weeks, 3 weeks would be even better. If your like me and have a problem waiting 3 weeks then after 2 you could get some smaller fish (Neons or Guppies) to keep you satisfied until the third week, but get fish that you plan on and will keep. After 3 weeks introduce your fish slowly and you should be great. Best of Luck!

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

It is said that you only need 24 hours but that is way to short, its always said that it is best t6o have the fishtank running for a week or two but still about 3 weeks is always best, before you go out and buy al those fish get small ones that are cheap and you like, that way you can always know if the water works and if it does you have the nice fish in there, when getting the fish also buy them slowly never all at one shot. good luck!

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

5. HunterPrincess

HunterPrincess New Member

those articles really helped. I printed the one on fishless cycling so I can follow it step by step and not be forced to remember. :)

thanks guys!

HP

6. EnFuego

EnFuego New Member

There is no set time for cycling. You have to check your water parameters to make sure it is done cycling. There is no way to say that after 1 week or 2 weeks or 3 weeks your tank will be done. As T_Chelle said you need a source of ammonia such as putting in fish that you dont intend to keep (goldfish, etc) or you can use pure ammonia and do a fishless cycle, or use something like Bio-Spira to start the cycle. Once you get your nitrites and ammonia at 0, and your nitrates under around 20 you should be safe to add fish in.