1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my fish problem.....i think

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Mudpuppy, May 22, 2004.

1. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

i just bought a redtailed shark .... its is pretty small.... and i have a tiger barb that is bigger than it who has been living in the tank for 1 week. the small shark chases the tiger barb alot ... (to the other side of the tank) , yet the tiger barb goes back and asks for more .... is this bad ???? the tiger barb is faster but the little shark chases him...and then the tiger barb goes crazy and swims into the glass and stuff .... do u think they are just trying to "get to know each other" ?? :| :| :cry: :x :shock: :?

2. DogmaMa

DogmaMa New Member

One of them, if not both, are going to end up run-down, due to stress, and will die. If, they dont get bacterial fin infections from nipping, first. Its one of the hardest challenges in fishkeeping, finding, not just species, but individuals who are compatible. Both Red tails and Tiger Barbs are notoriously difficult to keep with other fish, you could try to find a new home for one or the other, or get several more of each species, usually they get so preoccupied with their own social lives they quit harassing their tank mates..usually.

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You didn't state how big your tank is, but you have to remember that tiger barbs are very tough fish. Tigers also like being in groups of three or more. They school and constantly chase each other around. I think that if your tank is big enough, you should see about adding some more tiger barbs. The red tailed shark is also known for chasing fish around, and getting into fights. I really think that a school of tiger barbs would do okay.
    Good luck!

4. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

o thx... yeah i got 2 tiger barbs now ... and the shark still chases ... but not as much

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

6. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I've always heard that 3 or more is good with schooling fish like tiger barbs. I keep 8 tigers with a big severum, the numbers confuse the severum and he wont chase them.

7. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

Hooben, so do you think i should buy another tiger barb to make it 3 ???? or should i get liek a green tiger barb thingy??!?!?

8. rnkratt33

rnkratt33 New Member

All tiger barbs are compatible. A green one wereould be fine or whatever. There is safety in numbers. He may decide to cool it a little once you have a small school of the barbs. Regardless I doubt he will do any real damage. He may chase but that will be about it. I wouldn't worry about him killing your barbs.