1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My gold fish is sick

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tev, Sep 9, 2004.

1. tev

tev New Member

:cry:

Hi all,

I have a 60 litres tank with two gold fishes (a big one and a newcomer).

The big one, I call it food-wreck, is sick. It lies on the bottom and does not move at all. I don't know what to do. I have air bubbles, clean water (1/3 change every two weeks) and medication is also ok.

Any ideas ?

Rgrds Tev

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm...is it eating at all or showing any symptoms such as being bloated, or having any parasites on him?

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

can you post a pic ?

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

How long did you add the newcomer? Were they sold as feeder fish? I could be possible that if the newcomer was a feeder that it could have brought something into your tank.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How large are the fish?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
    What type of goldfish?
    You said medication is okay? What meds are you using?

60 liters (approx 16 gallons for us metrically challenged) is a bit too small for goldfish. For 2 fancy goldfish, you really need closer to 115 liters (30 gallons) and larger would be even better.

-Chelle

6. tev

tev New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for quick response. My food-wreck is 7-8 cm long with a magnificient tail. I've had it last 3,5 years. I suspect the newcomer as well. However, it has shown some signs of sickness before. Once I tried to give a small portion of tubfex worms, instead of usual gold fish flakes. After that, I observed that it has been slower in movements and signs for unusual digestion activity.

As medication, I use Ektozon and aqua-salt against nitrite, parasites.

No parasite signs. Maybe eyes has become bigger.

Visit http://itefix.no/download/food-wreck.jpg for a photo.

Water-test according to Tetra-test strip :

NO3 - 25 mg/l, NO2 - 1 mg/l, GH > 16, KH - 0, pH - 6.4

Rgrds Tev

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmmm, that spot on its side.....has it alwyas been there or does that seem almost more like a bruise? (where blood has been seeping into the skin) if its new, thta could be a major symptom that would help figure out the cause of the sickness.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A nitrIte (NO2) reading of 1 is probably part of the problem. I suggest doing daily water changes to keep it as close to 0 as you can. After that, I would increase your water changes to every week and start looking for a larger tank. If the fish is only about 7 - 8 cm after over 3 years, it's probably a bit stunted which can lead to immune system problems and greater susceptibility to diseases among other things.

The nitrIte reading also indicates that you either don't have enough filtration or it went through a mini cycle when you added the new fish. Since you say you're adding salt for nitrIte, has that been an on going problem even before you added the new fish? What filter do you currently have? Can you get a reading for ammonia (NH3)? Also, if there are no signs of parasites, there's no need to be treating for parasites.

-Chelle