1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Lab is burping all the time, and gagging... Is it bloat?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by sbblake23, Aug 20, 2004.

1. sbblake23

sbblake23 New Member

Hi,

For about 2 months or more, we have noticed our Labrador burping a lot more than normal. She eats once a day at nighttime, and she is burping all the time, even when she hasn't eaten anything.
    It seems to be getting worse. It seems like after she drinks her water, she automatically coughs and acts like she is gagging.
    One morning she was just hanging out, and all of the sudden, she vomited. Last night, she was just hanging out, again, and she started to "gag", and coughed up some clear fluid, either saliva or water. She has done this on more than one occasion, but we haven't seen her. We will find a wet spot on the carpet, but we haven't put two and two together until now.
    She is going to see the vet tomorrow afternoon. What do you guys think? I haven't read anywhere that burping is a sign of bloat... actually the opposite. That is why I am confused. If it is bloat, then it sounds like I need to get her there right away...

Sara

2. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Maybe she is allergic to her food. Intenstinal distress can come with that. It does not sound like bloat to me either. Is it whenever she drinks water AFTER she has eaten? What are you feeding her?

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It could be that she would do better on two smaller meals instead of one big one? Hopefully your vet will be able to advise you.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

It could be that she's not getting enough... Dogs will get gastrointestinal and heart burn froman empty stomache. The acids can cause a reflux and cause them to have upset stomaches. Perhaps two smaller meals a day would benefit him better....but definatley take him to the vet.

5. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

As somewhat the resident "expert" on Bloat what your dog is experiencing is not bloat, but it could lead to a serious episode if not corrected. First do feed two meals a day. Just halve the portion you have been feeding and give half in the morning and half in the evening. My guess is that your dog is rapidly gulping down the food and taking in a lot of additional air in the process.
    If your dog continues to rapidly gulp down the food then you must find a way to slow down the eating. I don't know what kind of food you are feeding but if it is dry kibble you might try placing a short section of heavy chain in the dish which will stop the dog from taking huge bites of food. The dog must pick around the chain and therefore eat slower.
    As usual, with all advice offered here, a good check by your Vet should be made to identify any possible pyhsical ailment that might be causing the stomach distress.

6. sbblake23

sbblake23 New Member

She has been eating the same kind of food for about a year and a half. I guess I will find out tomorrow! I'll let you know...

7. sbblake23

sbblake23 New Member

Well, the vet thought that Macey has a mild case of kennel cough. She gave her some antibiotics and cough medicine.
    She also told me to divide her food in half, so I can feed her twice a day. She said that was probably causing all the gas.