1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My lab mix ate a rotisserie chicken carcass bones

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ktsls82, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ktsls82

ktsls82 New Member

My lab ate a chicken carcass. I don't know what to do. I am very worried about her!! If you have any advice, I would appreciate it!

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

If it was cooked then careful observation is in order. If raw then it should be OK as a lot of folks here regularily feed whole raw chicken as part of a raw diet.
    Fortunately Labs seem to have the digestive tract of a Billy Goat as most stuff passes through OK. I would observe her bowel movements for a couple of days to check for any sign of blood in the stool or discomfort in defecating.
    Get her to the Vet ASAP if you see anything out of the usual.
    Let us know how things progress.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

It'll probably pass without incident. But also be on the lookout for abdominal tenderness and bloating, anorexia, or vomiting. All could be signs of perforation and infection, or a blockage.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

HI i agree with Dukesdad it should be ok.
    I feed my dogs cooked and raw chicken bones and they do not have any problems bt a close eye should be kept on her.

If she has any abdominal pain she may cry if any had become stuck in her throat you would have seen her pawing at her face trying to get it out and even trying to throw up aslong as she is still eating and drinking as normal, she does not seem lethargic and there is no sign of any blood in her stool she will be fine next day or 2 you will notice if there is any problems but i do not think there will be.

Shineillusion she will only suffer from Anorexia is she does not eat and i think this owners is wise enough to notice when her dog is not eating and losing weight so this is not an issue here.

ktsls82 I would not worry at all.

Mike

5. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I agree with Charm and Dukesdad. My lab eats raw things all the time. (not part of her diet... :roll: ) and she does just fine, i'm sure you dog'll be just fine.

6. karma

karma New Member

I think anorexia simply means (or can mean) loss of appetite; in other words, not necessarily meaning a prolonged case of not eating in which the subject suffers weight loss.

In this case, it would make sense to watch for loss of appetite.

7. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Well, concidering that anorexia is defined as loss of appetite, and loss of appetite could indicate all is not well in a dog's GI tract, I'd think that anorexia could very well be an issue in the rare instance the bones cause a blockage or perforation. They do happen on occasion, and one should know what symptoms to be on the lookout for.

I did preface my statement by saying it will probably pass without incident. And it probably will.

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Ok so it has be established what the owner should look out for.

I am totally aware what anorexia is i have suffered from it.
    The thing you have to understand with bones if its going to do any damage it usually occurs within the firs few hours and by now the owner would notice if things were not right.

I would be concerned if it was a little dog such as a shihtzu or any other small breed as they would have had internal problems but 9 times out of 10 larger dogs can digest and pass bone without any problems what so ever.

Mike