1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My little chihuahua is getting so big!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by zarate, May 17, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Hey all!
    I just got Chavo (my chi pup) his booster shot and rabies done with. Now all that's left this year is to get him fixed. The vet wants him to come back in a few weeks for that. He will be 6 months old on June 8. When he was about 3 months old he weighed 4.5 pounds. Today when he was weighed he was at 6.5 pounds.
    What is everyone's opinion on neutering your dogs? In the past *all* my dogs have been fixed. I don't plan on breeding him as I have no experience and there are tons of homeless pets in need of love without me adding to the problem (even tho I wish everyone could have a pup like my Chavo!! :D ) I never leave him outside unattended and when I have him out I've always got him on a leash or tie-out. I think I'll go ahead and fix him, I was just wondering what everyone's opinios were. Well, take care all!
    -Mandi

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

A lot of vets are neutering around the time the pets come in for their last vaccines and Rabies shot (Rabies isnt supposed to be given until 4 months old).
    Personally every pet Ive had has been neutered within a week of bringing them home, that includes all the fosters, varying ages, except for the one I had from a tiny pup, she was spayed at 6 months, that was delayed due to a health problem.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

I think it is better just to do it and then you don't need to worry. I guess with a chi or any tiny dog, you don't have to worry so much(compared to bigger dog) of them running away and knocking up someone elses dog, but it could help with aggression and stuff in the long run. I say just do it, don't take any chances.

4. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

In additon to what's already been said, intact dogs can also get testicular cancer. So definately fix him.

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

AND....I worked at an emergency clinic for 5 years....the majority of dogs that were either involved in fights or hit by cars that were brought in by animal control (had got loose) were intact males.