1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My many pregnant female feeder guppies!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

As you all probaly don't remember, I am still breeding my feeder guppies. However, i have a bunch of them that are females who have been pregnant for almost over three months and i don't know why it is taking them so long for them to give birth. They all look health, my water is fine, they aren't stressed, they just won't give brith. Why? Doesn't take about 1 -2 months for them to give birth. Thanks for all of your replies.

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Hey,

Have you kept a very close eye on them? Often you will have a few females that are very hard to tell when they will give birth. Chances are they have already given birth and it was missed. Females usually will have the graved spot for awhile after the birth. It is rare for her to delay her birth that late so if she is still she would need to be under extreem stress and chances are she would be dead from the high levels of stress, either that or the babies will have a high chance of being deformed. So maybe for a week or so keep a close eye on her and see what happens.

goodluck!

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Trust me, I know that I haven't missed it it. There are still the same size.

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

A couple days have passed so far. Now there are still no feeder guppy fry, but there still are very fat, female feeder guppies with big black gravid spots like they usually have had for like the past three months. Any more suggestions. Would it be easier to breed ghost shrimp? I need help!

Thanks!

5. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i had parent guppies who gave fry, these fry are finally starting to give fry after about 4-5 months.

when theyre young, as u prob know they give less fry.

I think 6 is the max iv had out of one fry.
    3 from the other.

any help?

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I know they will give fry. But my problem is that they don't seem to be giving me the fry and I am 100% that they are pregnant and that the mothers didn't give birth yet.

7. 3_second_memory

The Guppies will late untill they look like theyre oing to pop before they drop.

the gravid spot will be VERY dark, and you may see eyes,

the mum will start to swim less, and float more and not eat alot or attal.

As the new mums (previosly your other guppy mums fry)

get pregnant and give birth, they will only give a small amount, so they may drop when your not looking, or take a long time becasue they are inexperienced and its theyre first attempt.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

But it has been like 4 months now. The babies are supposed to be overdue now and they are stilll pregnant. They should have given birth like 3 months ago but they still have a dark gravid spot for like 4 months now.

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Possible there is a birth defect, you should maybe get them checked out, i doubt a female would hold her fry that long without major effects on the fry. If you are positive that she hasnt given birth my best advice is to have her checked out. Oh and are they under possible stress? Becase stress can have a major effect on the birth, which is bad for the fry.

10. 3_second_memory

yes, as i read your reply and then onewolfsdreams post it struck me that perhaps the mum is struggling as it is her first time and the babies might be dead inside her or she just cant give them as she isnt strong enuf.

the only way i know how to help is to hold your guppy mum and rub her belly and she may give, but the stress will probly kill the mum with no garuntee the fry will get sqweezed out.

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Is there anything else that I can do?

12. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Would it be easier to breed feeder ghost shrimp or rosy red minnows?