1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Mollie is pregnant!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by iobre8ks, Feb 11, 2005.

1. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I have two mollie's 1m and 1f the female is twice the size of the male and she is now pregnant any info. on mollie breeding and fry care and all that stuff would help.

1) How long will she be pregnant?
    2) How many fry will she lay(she is about full size)?
    3) Do you find it odd that i bought them at the same time and they were the same size and now one is twice the size?

This just dawned on me i am mostlikely inbreeding crap) gonna have to fix that one.

2. sleeper

sleeper New Member

My molly just had little fry as well. I bought her knocked up, so to speak, so I got a pleasant surprise.

Mollies breed in phases, actually. Their first "batch" when pregnant only usually yields 10-20 fry and, of course, the number that survive is a combination of chance and care level. The SECOND round usually results in as many as 40 fry, with the same caveat about survivors. I have heard of thrid rounds, but mine didn't go that route.

The pregnancy itself should last about 60 days, and the second round is much shorter. You can take the fry to your LFS in a ziplock bag (see my post on this a while back). I have found that larger chains won't trade with you but at least they'll take the fish and care for them.

I think fish in general have rapid size changes... I wouldn't even say it's necessarily a product of pregnancy. When my molly and gourami were new, the gourami was about 25% bigger and longer, and now as they have aged in my tank, the molly is about 25% bigger herself. They just grow out differently once they're out of the store.

3. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I took the newt that i had back to the lfs and got two platy and a mollie from them for it.