1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Morkie has dandruff.

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by afraley, Apr 6, 2006.

1. afraley

afraley New Member

Over the past 2 weeks my 5 month old morkie has been itching and appears to have dandruff. Any advise on shampoos or lotions?? What do I do about this??

2. Milly

Milly New Member

Personally I'd check with your vet. Dandruff can be caused by several different things from something inane like a dog food with not enough essential nutrients to something like an allergy or something like mange. So I would advise against treating it yourself as it may hide symptoms, and just take Morkie in.

3. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

I agree with talkin to your vet.... But sometimes it could just be due to dry skin --- either you are bathing him/her too often or using the wrong kind of shampoo. I'm curious... how often do you give your dog a bath? You should not bathe them more than once a week... it's actually better to go every 2 weeks (but we all know that sometimes that's just not possible) :) Also, what type of shampoo are you using? Some of the better shampoos don't even contain lye/soap, so they are better for your baby.... i.e., Earthbath is a great product!

4. afraley

afraley New Member

Thanks for the input! We normally only bathe her every 7-10 days however a few weeks ago we did give her a bath twice in one week. I think that might have been the culprit and caused her to have dry skin. We never had a problem until the successive baths occurred so I do think that's what it was . Since that time we have been brushing her hair daily and have bathed her once. The good news is that her symptoms have resolved. We gave her another bath 2 days ago and she has been doing well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that dry skin is all it was. Thanks!

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Whats a morkie i have never heard of them is this another of these designer breeds.

Mike

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Is ok i found out what they are cute little dogs maltese x yorkie.

This funny breed names are popping up everywhere.

Mike

7. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

I'm glad that your dog is doing better.... I think you should still pay close attention to her skin.... I'd be surprised (but I'm only a dog owner, not a vet) that bathing her too often one time would do that.... but regardless you said she is better :)

8. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Rather than too frequent bathing, the dandruff and itching may have been caused by shampoo residue if you didn't get it rinsed out well enough. Rinse, rinse rinse, then rinse again. The water coming off when you've rinsed well enough should look like you could put it in a glass and drink it.

9. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I almost forgot, you can also make a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water and use that as a final rinse. It will cut any shampoo residue and leave the coat shiney.