1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My new chew-proof bed.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Jul 4, 2004.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I ended up buying one of the "chewproof" beds from Duluth Trading. It was about $100 cheaper than Orvis and they said there was a guarantee. I got the bed yesterday. It is a nice bed, made of good material, but one end of it is closed with VELCRO!!!! So of course it is freaking chewproof b/c the dog doesn't have to chew through anything, just pull on the velcro. Does this seem stupid to anyone else?

Oh well....I figure since there's a guarantee I'll keep it until he figures out the velcro and rips up the inside. Then I guess it's on to Orvis.

2. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

I have never in my life heard of a chew proff bed!

3. oso

oso New Member

ME EITHER! AND THE VELCRO IS FOR ????? IS THIS JUST FLYING OVER MY HEAD! DID I MISS SOMTHIN?

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Elizavixen
    You are so right! It is really stupid to make a so called chew proof bed but then add Velcro! :0010: That's just an invitation to be ripped apart. I understand that they had the Idea of cleanliness in mind but they really should have came up with something a little more challenging! As soon as the dog realizes they can pull that Velcro apart it's all over for the chew proof bed!

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

We tried to use a bed with a zipper on the cover for Nala. She always chewed in through the zipper. I replaced it with velcro once the zipper was ruined, but didn't give it back to her. It's Bonnie's now and she's fine with it. I'm sure Nala would eat through the velcro, though.

Let us know how long it lasts before your dogs chew through the velcro and rip it apart, and whether the company really refunds your money. :)

Jamiya

6. gailau

gailau New Member

:eek: Had quite a quiet laugh to myself when I read about the "chew proof dog bed" you had purchased!! I really do think anyone who thinks they can successfully manufacture a comfy chew proof dog bed is somewhat misguided. Having two rather large but not-yet-adult dogs, I can assure you that the even the tiniest misplaced thread can stimulate the curiosity of most canine varieties beyond one's imagination :D I gave up after the mutilation of 5 beds (sixth is currently under severe scrutiny and showing obvious signs of distress). My two just don't realise they could be sleeping on a heavenly posturpaedic arrangement if their bedding didn't hold such a destructive attraction :lol: Good luck with your new purchase - if it does prove "indestructable", I will be the first in the queue to buy one!!

7. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I just got around to reading this on the chew proof beds and my thoughts were, :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

Grace can rip a zipper out in 15 seconds flat, so velcro should be good for about 5 seconds. Maybe if they had something with a combination lock on it might be more of a challenge. :roll:

As far as "money back guarantee, does the small print say, "This is a Limited Guarantee for dogs without any teeth and no brains?"

8. GinaH

GinaH New Member

:0023: LOL!!!

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hey, when I looked into it they said if the dog destroys it they will replace it or give you your money back. Hmmm.....now wait. I wonder if they said if they destroy it, or if they chew through it? I wonder if tunneling in through the velcro counts....

Jamiya

10. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

he he he...I expected to open this thread and see an Iron bed photo!!!

Yeah, pretty ignorant to put velcro on it. DUH>>>> My two would figure that out in a heartbeat!

11. Jules

Jules New Member

Ok, I just went back and found this post because I remember reading the title but never looked at it, and I wanted to check it out. This morning I spent quite a bit of time going around the back yard picking up stuffing, yesterday it was chunks of foam, last week it was threads from a mat....

So far Leela has been through one rug, two cushions, one doona and a furry mat. (It's amazing how much filling comes from one cushion) My dogs now have no blankets in their kennels because Leela keeps chewing them up!!! We tried glueing a mat in there, but she worked at it and ripped it out thread by thread! I am at my wits end. She is driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!! If only she'd put two and two together and work out that when she destroys them she has nothing to sleep on! BTW this is only a NEW hobby she has decided to take up.

I'm thinking a mat made of that shark proof netting would be the way to go :mrgreen:

What do other people do with this prob??

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Take her bed out. She has to sleep on the crate pan if she eats anything you put in there. I really don't see any other alternative!

Nala used to eat her bed when she was crated during the day. At night she's fine. So at night she gets her bed and during the day we would take it out and she got nothing but the crate pan. I felt bad, but we tried everything (as you have, too) and there was no other option. I didn't want her to get impacted from eating stuff and I couldn't afford to keep buying stuff for her, either!

Someone (might be Drs. Foster and Smith) have a vinyl bed cover. I bought one of those wondering if it would keep her cooler in the summer and perhaps she wouldn't eat it, but we never tried it.

Jamiya

13. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

Buffy started out (at a very small 8 weeks of age) with a large floor pillow made of thin cotton fabric. Once it got a small hole she tore it to shreds. After picking up all the stuffing I made her a pillow the same size (about 2' by 3') out of thick upolstry fabric and she hasnt been able to tear through it!! It has no zippers or velcro and has to be washed in the bathtub and set outside to dry, but it has seemed to work. She is the same as the rest of the dogs mentioned......one little tear or thread and it is her mission to tear it up!!!

14. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

oops posted twice