1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My parakeet has gone mad ! ! !

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by barnacle, Jun 20, 2004.

1. barnacle

barnacle New Member

Our 4 year old parakeet has been exhibiting odd behavior over the last week. It started last week when we gave him a nest (which we removed from the nest after the strange behavior began). He is eating anything made of wood - the nest, the moulding on our windows, everything! He also kicks his food out of the dish and onto the bottom of his cage. He does the same with any treats. He has plenty of toys and fresh food and water. He was recently moved to a new location, near a window and spring has begun - but the strange behavior didn't begin immediately following the move. Why is our bird acting this way?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi because you have introduced a nest box into a cage with a male you have hin thinking its mating time yet there is no female.

Males will chew wood they even chew the entrance to the nest boxes this is to show the females he is interested.

Kicking food on the floor is what he would do if there was chicks in the cage ready to feed themselves.

He is showing typical mating behaviour.

There is not need to give a male bird a nest unless you have a female and intend to breed otherwise he is perfectly fine without one.
    In the wild the only time a male bird used a nest was when he had a mate and there were chicks or eggs in the nest.

mike

3. GogetasWR

GogetasWR New Member

this might not answer your question but how did you train your parakeet to come out of the cage? I mean i tried to let mine out , she flew around(she didn't fly that good so i was able to catch her)She is untamed