1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my peek a poo's eyes

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by juliestroup, Sep 22, 2004.

1. juliestroup

juliestroup New Member

My peekapoo has itchy eyes, he rubs at them with his paws and he also gets a lot of eye matter that I have to use a fine comb to remove when bathing him. Is this an allergy or does this run common in the breed? Other than this he is the greatest dog!!! :?:

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

It more than likely is allergys. Have you mentioned it to the vet. Most vets can not come up with any way to stop a dog from having tear staining. I think its either food allergies or seaonal allergies from pollen etc. Does he do it all the time. You could clean out the eyes with an eye wash. Collyrium is one I've been told is good to use. You get it at the drugstore. also make sure there are no tiny hairs poing into his eyes. That can cause irritation too. Clip the hair around the eyes.

3. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Also you can give him some childrens liquid benedryl ..acccording to his age and weight ...tweice a day ,if he has an eye infectyion ,he may also need some antibiotics like some amoxil for a few days ...wouldn;t hurt

4. juliestroup

juliestroup New Member

thanks!

I bought some eyewash, I am going to try that. I try to keep the hair clipped back. I think the grass bothers him. Is that weird or common?

Julie

5. ilovemaltipoos

Good girl ...I would still use the benedryl ,it will help to clear them up too ...grass pollen is an allergy ,so the benedryl will help and yes it happens quite often .

6. juliestroup

juliestroup New Member

7. ilovemaltipoos

A cutie ...to be sure :eek:

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

VERY cute, juliestroup!!! :y_the_best:

Sounds like you've received some great suggestions so far, just be sure to keep the area around his eyes nice and trimmed at all times!!! And yes, grass does sometimes cause eye irritation for certain dogs, so do your best to keep him from rolling around in the grass, and wipe off any grass (and any other outdoor matter) from his face when he comes inside! The key is keeping his eyes and the surrounding area clear of any "stuff!"

Also, be sure you are feeding him a high, premium quality food!!! Allergy problems can often stem from a dog's food, so be sure that's not the culprit!!! :y_the_best:

If it is allergy-related, your vet can run some tests to find out what exactly he's allergic to...it would be a great thing to find out!!!

I hope things get better for him!!! :D

9. Tangible

Tangible New Member

I was reading..helpful info here...and I do love your page you made of your Deuce...lol! LOVE HIS OUTFIT!!