1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My puppy just died of Parvo

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by stravieso, Aug 4, 2004.

1. stravieso

stravieso New Member

I had my little angel for a week when on Friday she started vomiting and having diarrhea. I called a vet that does house calls and gave her a few shots to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. On Saturday, I noticed she was still doing bad so I took her to her vet and he said to keep her in Pedia-Lite and yogurt…so I did. On Sunday, I took her to the hospital because she was doing worse and they told me it was Parvovirus and she would probably not make it. She just died a couple of hours ago. I’m so devastated. I never though I can fall in love with a puppy so quick. She was my baby and my companion. How come these doctors didn’t treat her for Parvo when I took her? Now I realize that she had all the symptoms. How did they not know? I’m trying to find answers to why this happened. The owner of her mom is devastated as well as she was the only puppy in the litter. She’s willing to find me another little Maltese but I’m so scared to go through this again. Any suggestions? Please help!

Silvia

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Parvo is a terrible disease! Some vets give up and figure they will just die anyway - they should be ashamed! It can also cost a LOT to nurse a pup through parvo if it is hospitalized. There are people on this list who have nursed puppies through parvo at home, but it is a LOT of work. I'm so sorry you didn't find the support you needed before it was too late. Shame on those vets!!

I'm sure others who have personal experience with this will post soon. Just remember, it was not your fault. You did the best you could with what you knew at the time.

Give yourself time. You will know when you are ready for another puppy. It is remarkable how attached we get in so short a time.

You are among friends here and we understand your loss. Hang in there!

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:cry: I am so sorry for your loss! I am one of those people that Jamiya spoke of who nursed their puppy through Parvo and he made it. I know how terrible this disease is and I do not understand why the vet did not diagnose it. I am so mad at him! Of course you fell in love with your fur baby, we all have. I'm not sure how much you have learned about Parvo to this point, but, in case you did not already know, you have to be so careful about bringing in another puppy. Parvo is HIGHLY contagious and can hang around, according to some reports, for years. You have to bleach anywhere the puppy has been with a certain mix of bleach and water in order to kill the Parvo. Any unvaccinated dog that even came into the house or property where your puppy had been would be at risk. If you need anything at all, just let us know. And, again, I am so sorry for you but glad that you found your way here. I found my way here the day after my puppy was diagnosed and it literally saved his life.

4. Kathy74

Kathy74 New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter that you just got her, you obviously loved her deeply. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

IM so very sorry for your loss. Parvo is an awful disease that causes so much heartache. Losing a pet is such a hard thing to go through. :cry:
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
    that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills
    for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends
    are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
    and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and
    strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days
    and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for
    one small thing: they each miss someone very special,
    someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly
    stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his
    eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group,
    flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been
    spotted, and when you and your special friend finnally meet,
    you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
    The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress
    the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusing eyes,
    so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

:kiss_puppy:

6. stravieso

stravieso New Member

Thanks

Thank you all for your support. I wish I would have found this site before. I never thought I could love my little one so much that I would feel the way I do today. I want to blame everyone but I know that won't bring her back. I will start bleaching everything and when I'm ready the lady will give me another one. Everyone thinks I should take another one but I really don't know how I would react to another puppy. If any of you have gone through this please let know.

Thanks again for your support...I really need it!

7. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Not that you could ever replace your puppy but I think another would be a good idea it will definitely fill the void.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Whether or not to get another puppy is a personal decision only you can make. Some people need time and others want one right away. I do think you would be missing out if you choose not to get one at all. It's always scary to love something, but the rewards are worth it.

Be sure you bleach everything as you said. Do a search on parvo and find some info about how to do it.

And get a new vet!!

9. nern

nern New Member

I am so sorry for your loss.. :cry:

10. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i am so sorry for your loss its hard when you lose something that you love so much.

As jamiya says there are some vets that just think its way too expensive to treat a pup or a dog that has the virus and then there is the other vets that will fight night and day to help save them.

I have posted a link on Canine ParvoVirus hope its of some help it tells you about the virus and what steps to take before bringing a new puppy home.

My heart goes out to you and your in my thoughts if there is anything you need to ask or even if its just too vent your anger out we are all here.

Mike

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_parvovirus.html

11. Jody

Jody New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

12. stravieso

stravieso New Member

Do you think I should accept the puppy from the breeder? I just can't go through this again and I'm scared that the virus is still around her house and the new puppy might get it. She's not giving my money back the only offer is another puppy. Financially I cannot buy another dog or pay another hospital bill and emotionally I can’t go through this again. Any suggestions?

Another thing…I called her vet yesterday to tell him that she had died and I asked that if they can return some of the money I paid for her puppy plan which is vet care for a year and he didn’t return my call. I’m so upset with this vet and everything that’s happening.[/img]

13. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Do you know where the puppy may have come in contact with the Parvo? I mean, did you take the puppy over to anyone else's house or to a pet store or for a walk in the park? These are all ways to contract Parvo if the breeder is telling you that none of her other puppies have gotten it. Did you get anything in writing from this breeder? Look at whatever papers the vet that you paid for the years service gave you. You need to read through any fine print and find out under what circumstances you are entitled to a refund. I would just make sure that you know that the other pups have not come in contact with Parvo and I would get on those web sites asap and educate yourself totally about Parvo and exactly how to go about the bleach/cleaning.

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you do decide to take another pup from the breeder, make the breeder sign a contract with some sort of health guarantee, which would include her paying for the vet bills if the new puppy gets sick within some period of time after you get it.

Did you have any kind of health guarantee with the last puppy?

15. nakoma_star

nakoma_star New Member

sorry about you loss parvo is hard to nurse a pup through ive had it happen before and tried my hardest to get my dog through it but i lost her but now i have three healthie happy dogs which im happy for

16. cintamasak

cintamasak New Member

my heart goes out to you.

17. lil96

lil96 New Member

make sure you bleach everything! down before another dog comes to your house. Where/how do you think your pup got it?

18. stravieso

stravieso New Member

I have no idea where she got it. She was an only child and her mother belongs to the lady that sold her to me. Now, son of the lady that sold her to me owns a Pet Shot and that's why I'm getting a new puppy. She is actually a very nice lady and has been very considerate. From what I've read, the incubation period is between 4-10 days so she could of gotten it with me or her. I honestly think she got it at the vet's office...that's the only place that she's been around that has dogs.

I might get a new puppy this weekend so I'm thinking of keeping her at my sister's house for a while until I'm sure everything is extremely clean.

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

When taking a new pup to the vet, do NOT put him on the floor. Keep him in your arms and insist that the vet tech wash the exam table before you set him down.

20. Mix Breed lover

Mix Breed lover New Member

I'm very sorry about your loss. I have to say this breeder was negligent. You puppy should have already been vacinated for Parvo. Usually between 3 to 4 weeks of age. I wouldn't get a new puppy from her personally. She obviously is not a good breeder. I believe you are intitled to a refund and I would demand one from her. After all it is the breeders fault this pup died.