1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my puppy will not eat unless i sit with him. Any suggestion?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lingling, Apr 18, 2004.

1. lingling

lingling New Member

my puppy is eight weeks old and she will not eat unless i sit right beside her. i don't know if i should continue this. what should i do? i just scared that if she do not eat she will go into shock or something.
    thanks
    cindy

2. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

What breed is she? Most puppies wouldnt go into shock if they didnt eat, but the real small breeds would be in danger....

3. lingling

lingling New Member

hi
    she is a shih tzu.

4. arcticfox

arcticfox New Member

The problem here is that if you continue doing it,you will have to do it forever because the dog will come to expect you to do that and so you have to get away from the habit as soon as possible Im afraid Im telling you this from experience because even now after 9 years my dog will just NOT eat from a plate unless Im by her side lol, :mrgreen: so be warned

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi how long have you had the pup.
    For the first week or two of getting the pup he/she will want you beside it.
    I dont have this problem with my litter but i am not saying the new owners wont have the problem.

The best thing to do is each time you feed her move abit further away until you are eventually away from her completely, I usually potter round the kitchen while my pups are eating.

One of my dogs mitzy was the same when she was a pup she would not eat or drink unless i was in the same room as her this lasted for about 2months now she just eats with all the others and now she is a mother she sits with the pups while they eat.

Like i say each time you feed move a little further away try so it does not look like your moving.

I dont believe this is a long term thing and i have had dogs all my life and have bred for a few years and only ever had the problem with mitzy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mike

6. klarman

klarman New Member

Pet Won't Eat Unless I Sit With Him (Cat!)

Our cat does the same thing. We got him from a shelter when he was 10 weeks old. At first, he'd look at you, take a bite, look at you, take a bite, hop on your knee and look at you, jump off, take a bite, hop on your knee, etc. Now, at over 4 years old, he'll scream through the house until someone comes (usually wakes up) to tend to the king. At least if he's really hungry, he'll eat without us.

7. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yep what mike said, its probably a anxiety thing too, being so young, being away from mum, latching onto you as security for her, she will eventually eat if she's hungry, I would try what mike suggested, as she gets older she will become more confident and independent, try not to baby her TOO much, of course you can sometimes, in a few weeks you'll see her eating by herself. :D :wink:

8. Angel

Angel New Member

Yeah i would have to agree on that one aswell. Maybe just move away slowly each time. As she gets older she should brake out of that habbit. :y_the_best:

9. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

FYI guys, this post is over 3 years old.

10. Chezza

Chezza New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is too, I didn't even pick up on it.. :|

11. Nik

Nik New Member

:lol:

Wonder if she had any luck :mrgreen:

12. Chezza

Chezza New Member

LOL Nik... :lol: :lol: :lol: