1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My puppy won't wear her collar

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Valentina, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Valentina

Valentina New Member

She freaks out everytime I put it on, any suggestions?

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Yes start out with a very light color or even piece of string. every few days you can change it to something weightier. I did not have this problem. When I got my poo pup, i just put on a lightweight leather collar. The only thing she would do, is try to bite the tags. She hardly does it anymore. So start out light. Toy breeds also do better when walked with a harness too. let presure on the trachea.

3. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

You also might want to try a harness, instead of a collar. My dog never liked the collar either... but has no problems with his harness on (which is much more comfortable for them anyways)

4. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Is a harness for wearing all the time or just for a leash?

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

A harness on all the time can really mess up the caot and cause mats. Most people use them only for walks. Try a very light collar. Your pup will chew at it, so get a cheap one. He will forget after a while that its on.

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

You could spray some Bitter Apple on the collar (should be able to get it at any pet store), it tastes disgusting but is non toxic....I know because Ive 'accidentally' tasted it a couple of times.

7. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I actually do want to get her the harness for walking, I hate that her neck gets pulled back as she doesn't know how to walk on a leash yet. BUT, I really want her to have a name tag, so she has to wear a collar so that I can hang it off of that. Anyway, she is doing much better with her collar. I think in no time she will forget it is even there!

Thanks for your help!

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

On occasion, my 6 1/2 year old will try like crazy to grab her tags and bell. Then she stops just as quick. Make sure the collar fits just enough to put two fingers in it.

9. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

As a general rule, I don't care for harnesses. They seem to encourage the dog to pull on the leash, rather than walk at your side. Not so much of an issue with small dogs, but I still find it annoying, personally.

An option over using a harness is a Gentle Leader or Halti. They both fit on the dogs head, like a horse halter. And they discourage pulling. Of course, you don't leave it on the dog all the time. Just for walking on the leash.