1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My saga continues

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Aug 28, 2004.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

ok so these girls of mine keep me pretty busy. I just let them out back in the yard and they were doing there thing. So Lana got out of my site of vision so I walked over to where she was and I see her laying down trying to bite on something. Then I realize its a dead crow!!! I called her over and brought the girls inside....who do I call about this to get the bird? Is it safe for me to somehow get it and throw it away?? Not sure what to do. Lana didnt get a chance to eat it but i think she might have chewed a feather for a second, should I be worried? What an eventful night and day I've had. Geeez

2. someday

someday New Member

I don't know that chewing on a feather could transmit anything. There's always a possibility though I suppose. I get very nervous finding dead birds lying around, what with recent outbreaks of West Nile Virus. I would call to get the bird checked out. I'm not sure who does it, but your local Animal Control or Wildlife department should be able to tell you.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

WINNIE - YOU NEED TO CALL ASAP on this bird for W Nile virus! here is website with info

http://lacounty.info/

Im in North CA and they have on the news to report any dead crows you find because of West nile virus.

dont worry dogs cant get it.
    glad to hear your guys recovered tfrom the aspirin incident. what a nightmare

honeybear

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I thought West Nile Virus was spred by mosquitos :?: The web link mentioned dead bird, but I thought mosquito larvae grew in standing water, ponds, irrigation ditches, etc. Any place with water. Why dead birds or dead animals?

5. someday

someday New Member

West Nile virus is spread by mosquitoes, but finding dead birds can be a red flag that the virus is in the area. Of course, birds do die from other things. Reporting the bird helps the health department keep tabs on where the virus has spread.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

The virus starts with birst, but they are host to the west nile virus, and only horses and birds and people get it who knows?

they want you to report the dead birds because that means they have an outbreak close by.

hre is the info on WNV
    Mosquitoes become infected with WNV when they feed on infected birds. These infected mosquitoes then can transmit WNV to humans and to other birds and animals when a mosquito bite occurs.

Infected birds arrived in the us a few years ago on the ast coast and is just hitting the west coast this year by migratory birds

honeybear

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

oops I meant birds are the WVN host

honeybear

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

just more info on WNV

West Nile Virus Fact Sheet

What is West Nile virus? The West Nile virus is transmitted by mosquitoes to birds, various animals, and humans. Most persons infected with this virus show no symptoms, although occasional infections can result in serious illness and even death.

What kinds of birds carry the West Nile virus? Any wild or domestic bird can be infected with this virus, but some species are particularly susceptible to disease and death from this infection. These species include crows, blue jays, and birds of prey such as hawks, owls, and eagles. However, based on our current understanding of this virus, it appears that the only significant risk to humans is through the bite of an infective mosquito (see “How do people get West Nile virus?” below).

Where did West Nile virus come from? West Nile virus has been commonly found in humans, birds, and other animals in Africa, Eastern Europe, Western Asia, and the Middle East, but until 1999 had not previously been documented in the Western Hemisphere. The U.S. viral strain is most closely related genetically to strains found in the Middle East.

What are the symptoms of West Nile virus infection? Most people infected with this virus do not have any symptoms. Some people experience a mild illness characterized by slight fever, headache, body aches, skin rash, and swollen lymph nodes. More severe illness can include encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and is marked by a rapid onset of a high fever, head and body aches, neck stiffness, muscle weakness, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, and in the most severe cases, death.

How soon after exposure do symptoms appear and who is at highest risk for serious illness? Symptoms usually appear 3 to 15 days after exposure. Persons who are at highest risk for serious illness are persons over the age of 50. Healthy children and adults are at very low risk for infection.

What if I am pregnant? There is no evidence that pregnant women are at increased risk due to West Nile virus infection.

How do people get West Nile virus? The West Nile virus, like most mosquitoborne viruses, is found in wild and domestic birds. When a mosquito feeds on an infected bird, it can pick up the virus and transmit it to other, noninfected birds. Occasionally, infective mosquitoes will feed on mammals such as horses, dogs, cats, and humans, and transmit the virus to them.

If I live in an area where birds or mosquitoes with West Nile virus have been reported and a mosquito bites me, am I likely to get sick? No, even in areas where mosquitoes do carry the virus, very few mosquitoes—much less than 1%—are infected. If the mosquito is infected, less than 1% of people who get bitten and become infected will get severely ill. The chances you will become severely ill from any one mosquito bite are extremely small.

Can I get West Nile virus directly from birds? There is no evidence that a person can get the virus from handling live or dead infected birds. However, persons should avoid barehanded contact when handling any dead animals and use gloves or double plastic bags to discard dead animals.

How can I discard a dead bird? Place the dead bird in double plastic bags (using gloves or the plastic bags to prevent skin contact) and discard in a garbage can. Birds can also be buried or incinerated, taking care to prevent direct skin contact with the birds.

What will happen if my dog or cat eats an infected bird? There is no evidence that West Nile virus infection can be acquired by ingestion. Very few dogs and cats have been found to be infected with the West Nile virus even in those parts of the country where infected mosquitoes are found.

How can I report a sighting of dead bird(s) in my area? Contact your local or state health department if you observe dead birds, particularly crows and blue jays. Health officials will determine whether the event should be investigated and whether bird specimens should be submitted to a laboratory for testing.

Can West Nile virus be spread from person-to-person? West Nile virus infection is not transmitted from person to person. For example, you cannot get West Nile virus from touching or kissing a person who has the disease, or from a health care worker who has treated someone with the disease.

9. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Definately call AC about the bird, and take her in to have her checked. They can get WNV from eating or chewing on an infected bird.

I know I spend $200 ever 3 months to vaccinate the horses for WNV.

Plus, lice and other mites can be transmitted from birds.

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

But dogs can't get WNV, can they? Or do they carry it or something?

11. honeybears

honeybears New Member

dogs catn get it but horses can and they have a preventative vaccine for for them, I live in horse country and its on the radio a lot to get people to vaccinate their horses

honeybear

12. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

You can also get mites if you touch the bird. Call about the bird being checked out for WNV. If you have to move it cover your hand with gloves or a bag.

13. winnie

winnie New Member

I called the health department right after I posted this message. They asked if the bird was decomposed, so I checked and it was. The lady said to bag it and throw it away. I guess they can't check it for WNV if its decomposed. I later found more remains of the same bird and I think it died and then my dogs were eating it. So gross, but the Vet said not to worry. As long as the dogs are healthy before they ate the bird they wont get anything from it.

Winnie and Lana are okay, but Sydney has to stay at the Vets over night, she started throwing up some blood at the vets. I hope she will be okay, I miss her so much and I want her with me but I know it's best for her to be there till she gets better.

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Hopefully she'll be fine. Did the vet say why she was vomiting ?

15. winnie

winnie New Member

I was ther with her all day, the only time she trew up there was in the begining of the exam. She hasnt since, they are giving her anti vomit meds. I hope she gets better fast.

16. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

golly gosh! i hope all your dogs get better. just read the first post. doggy puke fest 2004! :0024:

:(

17. winnie

winnie New Member

The Vet said Syd has a stomach ulcer or at least the begining of one from the Alieve.

18. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

What do you do for an ulcer? Is it fixable?

19. winnie

winnie New Member

They were giving her medication so she would stop throwing up and I think that helps stop the ulcer. She is also on 3 other differnt meds. But the good news is I just picked her up and she is doing well!!!! I'm so glad that she is back!