1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my tank is cloudy and green

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by sakda702, May 26, 2004.

1. sakda702

sakda702 New Member

my tank is a 60 gal tank with lots of real plants, i breed guppies and i leave my 220 watt light for 10 hours a day, my ph is 6.5 and the nemonia is 0, for some reason my tank got cloudy and green out of no where, can some one please tell me whats going on and how to get rid of it? i changed 25% of the water 2 days ago but its still the same, it even looks worse. i dont have that many fishes either mayb around 20 baby guppies altogether. need help now! thanx

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Oy Vey, does it get alot of sunlight? I think the most common thing would just be nasty algea which Ive never had a problem with thus I do not know how to fix, the big problem with algea is eventually you get thoes floating spores which reverse the photosynthesis process when the light is off and thus sucks your oxygen out. Alega moves fast so that might be your problem.

3. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I had this problem a long time ago... my tank was getting sunlight durring the day and all I had was fake plants. I know you have live ones so... that should be helping you some. Make sure it is not getting any sunlight.

I have my lights on for about 15 hours a day... I turn them on when I get up and turn them off when I go to bed. I also have 3 alge eaters in my tank. And they seem to keep it down plus no sunlight now!

4. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I think unless it's getting sunlight (if so, change that problem by relocating the tank I know - that does suck but not as bad as algea does! :roll: ) if I were you I would cut down on the amount of time the light is on in your tank. I wish I could leave mine on the whole time I'm awake too but I have never had this luxury since I have had algea. Some sort of algea eaters would help for sure but you wouldn't want any agressive (such as the notorious chinese ones that can suck the membranes right off of your fish nevermind fry) that may eat your fry. Small pleco's may be ok but they get big fast and would need to be moved to a larger tank pretty fast or some L.F.S.'s will trade back for a smaller one later but ask first. I think that otto's would be your best bet. They are small but they work hard! Especially on the glass. Other than that there are many gadgets you can buy like long handled scrapers and algea magnets and stuff like that but you can even use a sponge with a coarser scrubby side as long as it's never been used on anything else before. You may come across chemicals on the market as well, however I wouldn't recommend using them as I have had fish die quickly after using only a half dose once! I have also heard of others having things like that happen as well. To me it's not worth the risk. An aquarium can't look brand spanking new forever unless of course it's empty! L.O.L. :wink:

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In addition to limiting the amount of light to the tank, you can also try feeding the fish less. Any uneaten food will just become a nutrient source for algae.

-Chelle

6. sakda702

sakda702 New Member

help

my tank is nowhere near the sunlight. i have been place my tank there for over a year and nothing has ever happen before. i also have a placo in there and he around 10inch long plus 2 litlle algee eater and 2 scarvenger. its just so weird to me because it just happen out of no where like a week ago. i change my water (25%) 2 days ago but it doesn't help. im also running a rene xp3 on my 60gal. should i change more water? or change i just clean out my whole tank???

7. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You need to get inside your xp3 and change out the filstar activiated carbon pads. The manufacturer suggest that it be changed out once a month. I think that is to often, but judging by the color of your water... it's time. The instructions state that it will remove dissolved organic waste and discoloration of aquarium water. Don't let the filter dry out and dont change out anything else. You will see a difference in about a day after running the new carbon pad.
    Whatever you do Do Not clean out your whole tank!
    Sometimes a water change can actually help an algea bloom take off even more!

Good luck

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi sakda702, 220 watts is pretty intense light, especially 10 hours a day. Also,I'm guessing that you also add nutrients to the tank for your plants. The low PH will also encourage algae bloom. Most likely the combination of factors are responsible. Remedy: Discontinue adding any nutrients until the algae bloom clears up. At least cut back on the amount of time you have the lights on. Also try to get the PH close to neutral by doing water changes and cleaning the tank.