1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Mwm, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Mwm

Mwm New Member

Hey Guys I got a 20 gal tank. I want to get some new fish but im not to sure what to get. In my tank I have some Guppies, Neons, Swords, A red tail shark (had 2 one died in about 8 hours after buying it) So its a community Tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on some other fish i should buy?
    I would Include a picture of it but i have no idea :D

Thanks Guy[/img]

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How many of each fish do you already have? A 20 gallon is a pretty small tank so you may already be at your limit.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

did you cycle it

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

be careful with having those fish and a shark. the shark is semi-aggresive. and also how many neons and guppies?

5. Mwm

Mwm New Member

I have about 6 neons, 2 guppies, 2 cherry barbs, 2 fish...Dont know there names same size as a cherry barb, 2 swords,1 shark, a bottom cleaner, 1 algee eater.

I have about 16 fish and there all small.

6. Mwm

Mwm New Member

Yah I cycled it i have a few friends that know alot about fish so they were telling me. Ive had the tank for probaly 2 months now.

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

sounds like you have t many fish as it is

8. OneWolvesDream

i agree. just stop with the fish for awhile. sooner or later you will have space for more. also keep a close eye on that shark!

9. Mwm

Mwm New Member

Thanks for all your help, The Shark Seems to be good so far. I will let you know if anything happens with him. Now that you mention it a couple neons have gone missing... I didnt find there bodies eather :cry:

But thanks for the info :eek:

10. Mwm

Mwm New Member

I forgot to ask something. If i have more room eventualy could a get a baby jack depsey or a convict? or would the eat/kill my other fish? And could one or 2 baby jack depseys or convicts live in my little 5 gallon?

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

12. mknuth

mknuth New Member

Be careful if you add more fish, especially tetras! I have lost all of my guppies and a few neons to mine. They are going away this weekend!!

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Definitely NO. JD's need around 50 gallons each and Convicts need about 20 gallons each.

And honestly, you really need to return some fish because your tank is already overstocked. First of all, it would help if I knew what your mystery fish and bottom cleaner are. Could you post a pic or at least describe them better? And if that algae eater is a pleco, you shouldn't keep it. Then really need at least 40 gallons. I would also suggest returning the shark and at least 4 of the other fish (depending on what they mystery fish are).

And not to be rude, but if your friends who know a lot about fish told you that all those fish would be fine in the tank, I really question their advice and I'd like to confirm that your tank is actually cycled. Could you post your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

-Chelle

14. Mwm

Mwm New Member

No its not a pleco its really small my guy at the fish store said it wont get bigger then it is now (about 1 inch) all my fish are small. And the bottom cleaner is a cat fish almost very small. none of my fish are bigger then 2 inches and the only one that will keep growing is the shark. Okay thanks for the info on convicts and Jack Depseys. Maybe When I get a bigger tank. I took a picture of my tank im not sure how to show you guys it tho.. Im new to this forum stuff

15. Mwm

Mwm New Member

t_chelle16 I liked those pictures of your fish tumbler, awesome :D Thanks for your info about over stocking

16. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

You are welcome here we all started some where we are just giving you advice what we know are experience’s some of the mistake we made. we just don't want you to make the same ones we are all here to learn

17. Mwm

Mwm New Member

I ment to put the :wink: at the end, I was trying to be sarcastic didnt really work out. :shock:

18. Mwm

Mwm New Member

I want to show you guys my tank i took a picture do u know any hosting website i can put them on?? And ill just Give u the link

19. OneWolvesDream

no its not really that. its just that you need more appreciation for the fish. you have a bad combination. you have semi agressive and peaceful mixed up and that is bad. you have
    neons: peacful and skittish
    2 guppies: very peacful
    cherry barbs: aggressive, verrrrrrrrrrrrry bad idea. that could explain the deaths.
    swardtail: in danger of barbs nipping.
    1 shark: territorial not a good match with any of these
    1 algae eater: to small of a tank

when the guy said that it wont get bigger then and inch is because it is being stunted, it will become deformed and thats the opposite of what you want.

i think you should go check out some books and read up on your fish nobody can blame us for being angry your friends know nothing about fish by the looks of it. nowonder why your fish are dissapearing, and the algae eater will eat dead fish that could explain the fish dissapearing.

20. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member